Chapter Five: Torimodo Misaki: Origin

My quirk awakened when I was ten years old. I say "awakened" because, before that moment, the power I'd been able to wield was nothing compared to what exploded out of me that day.

Like many kids with an emission type quirk, I developed mine when I was around four years old. The quirk I manifested was unlike either of my parents'. My father had the ability to induce hallucinations by releasing an LSD like chemical from his sweat glands. My mother's quirk let her sharpen and elongate her fingernails into metal spikes that she could shoot out and grow back within seconds. My quirk allows me to restore a living being's physical and mental state to any point within their natural lifespan. I see every experience in a person's life like a link in a chain that I can connect and disconnect anywhere along the line. The memories contained in those links become inaccessible once they're disconnected from the starting and ending points. And as I came to learn the hard way, if I left them that way, they would quickly begin to deteriorate until it eventually became impossible to reconnect them again.

Prior to my awakening, the furthest I had been able to Restore someone was no more than a couple of minutes. Any more than that gave me horrible headaches and high stress fevers. After my awakening, the side effects diminished to a dull ache between my ears and a general feeling of uneasiness. But the most dramatic change was the length of time I was able to Restore. The chain of life experiences which had once been no longer than a jump rope suddenly stretched out further than I could see. I found that I'd become able to sift through all of the links in the chain, watching a person's entire life play like a movie in my head at phenomenal speeds. The experience was incredibly jarring to my ten-year-old mind, and it was nothing I could have ever hoped to control at the time.

The day my quirk manifested, my mother had been making lunch in the kitchen when a spider crawling down the wall had spooked her and she'd panicked, shooting out her sharpened fingernails at it. One of them had missed badly, firing into the living room where my father had been flying me around like a pretend airplane. At the sound of her panicked voice calling out, he'd immediately turned to avoid the incoming projectile. It sliced across his forearm when he lifted it to protect me before embedding in the wall behind us. It was probably the sight of the blood that triggered my quirk to activate, and I Restored my father to just before he'd been injured. As my mother apologized with tears streaming down her face to my very confused father, neither one of them at the time had any idea what had just happened. My mother, in her panicked state, hadn't noticed that my father's arm was no longer bleeding, and my father didn't remember that he'd even been injured.

They took me to see a quirk doctor the next day.

"It's a mutation. Your child's quirk factor is completely unique. She possesses none of the traits that comprise the quirks from either the mother's or father's side," the short, pudgy doctor said.

My parents looked at each other with concern.

"I recommend that you contact one of the quirk support centers." The doctor handed my father a card.

"Support center?" Mother asked.

"They specialize in providing guidance to parents and children in your unique situation," the doctor explained as he reached out to my mother, who was holding me in her arms, and handed me a sucker.

My parents looked at each other again before turning to smile graciously at the doctor.

"Thank you for the advice, Doctor."

They stood and turned to leave.

"It's my pleasure. Please do let me know if there are any further developments with the child's quirk," the doctor smiled pleasantly from beneath a bushy, white mustache, his eyes creasing almost creepily behind his goggles as he ushered the three of us out of the examination room.