Chapter Twenty-Three: Aftermath

Heavy rain steadily poured out of the sky over Central Hospital, pelting down atop the covered heads of the news reporters camped out en masse in front of the main entrance. Several police and security officers were stationed between the mob of journalists and the hospital doors to keep them from entering the building and bothering any of the patients or staff. They were all there to gather information about one man: Endeavor. He, along with many other mortally wounded heroes, had been quickly transported to Central Hospital after the conclusion of the morning's raids on the Paranormal Liberation Front's stronghold at Gunga mountain, and the decimated hospital in Jaku City. Their facilities were known to be the best in the country and would provide the best opportunity to save their lives.

The heads of many drenched reporters perked up at the sight of a cab pulling up to the front of the hospital. The police and security officers stood at attention, watching carefully as the back door flung open and a dark-haired woman in black and white sneakers and a hooded, denim vested jacket swiftly exited the vehicle. She slammed the door shut behind her and clutched her jacket closed over her chest, not bothering to cover her head as she began jogging toward the entrance to the hospital. The mob of reporters out front quickly converged on her, shoving microphones and recording devices in her face and demanding to know if she had any relation to any of the heroes being treated at the hospital, specifically Endeavor.

The police and security pushed the reporters back, clearing a path for her to at least make it up to the front entrance. She was stopped by another security officer who asked to see some ID. She reached into her back pocket with a trembling hand and produced a card, holding it out to the officer who, upon seeing her credentials, immediately turned and nodded to the others that it was okay to let her pass. He handed it back to her and she slipped it back into her pocket before rushing past him through the open doors of the hospital. They swiftly closed behind her and she heard the sound of an electronic lock click as the invasive voices of the rowdy group of reporters outside were abruptly silenced.

Misaki swiftly walked up to the reception desk in the main lobby, trailing a wet path from the front door behind her that brought out a group of small cleaning bots to mop up the mess. She completely disregarded their presence as she stepped up to the tall desk and called out to one of the nurses behind it, "Excuse me."

The nurse she'd addressed looked up and asked, "How can I help you?"

"I'm here to visit a patient," Misaki quickly replied.

The nurse's expression turned apologetic as she told her, "I'm sorry, but I'm afraid visiting hours are over for the day."

"Please, I'll only be a minute," Misaki implored.

The nurse shook her head and said, "I'm sorry. I can't help you. If you come back tomorrow during normal visiting hours—"

"Can you at least tell me if they're okay?" Misaki cut her off, her anxiety and frustration quickly reaching a boiling point and spilling over onto the poor nurse who was just trying to do her job.

"Torimodo-san?" A familiar voice suddenly addressed her from her left.

She turned her head toward the voice and blinked perplexedly at the tall, lanky hero walking down the hall toward her. "Best Jeanist?"

Jeanist held a hand up to the flustered nurse behind the reception desk and told her, "It's alright. I'll handle it."

The woman nodded to him with a look of relieved appreciation on her face and he nodded back to her before gesturing for Misaki to follow him. "Come with me."

She turned an apologetic glance toward the nurse before ducking her head and hurrying over to Jeanist, softly telling him when she reached his side, "Thank you."