Chapter Seven: New Developments

*WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SEXUAL CONTENT. READER DISCRETION IS ADVISED*

Misaki glanced down at the phone in her hand and smiled as she walked back to her desk from the communal vending area on the top floor. The can of sweetened coffee and packaged cucumber sandwich she'd just purchased were clutched in her other hand. She headed back into her office and sat down at her desk before pulling back the tab on the coffee can and the plastic lining on the sandwich package. Lifting one of the triangles, she took a bite and reached out to her tablet to pull up an enlarged version of the photo she'd been looking at.

The bright, smiling face of Eri stared back at her from the screen. She was holding an enormous, long eared white rabbit in both arms and smiling with an open mouth and closed eyes at the camera. Eraser had told her after he'd sent her the picture last night that the third years had organized a petting zoo for her yesterday afternoon. Eri had asked him to take a few pictures to send to her, since she hadn't been able to be there with them. He'd confessed that it had actually been Thirteen who'd taken the one he'd sent to her, since all of the one's he'd taken had come out badly.

She'd been surprised when he'd asked if she'd be interested in joining Eri at the UA teacher's dorm for a Christmas party next week. To be honest, she wasn't really feeling very festive about the holiday season this year, but she'd agreed to make an appearance for Eri. He'd told her not to worry about bringing any gifts, as Eri was likely to be receiving one from each of the teachers anyway, in addition to the gift they were all contributing to the exchange. As if that was any reason for her to show up empty handed. She was planning on gifting her a stationary set, since she knew how much the little girl liked to write letters.

She sat back in her chair and sighed, leaning her head back against the leather surface and sliding her tired eyes closed. She'd been dealing with the finger case for three days now. The fifth finger had finally shown up exactly where she'd predicted it would; and again, the police had let the person who'd dropped it escape. That had been almost two hours ago. If she was right, it could be any time in the next twenty-four hours that they'd finally get a look at who was behind this morbid game of cat and mouse.

An alert from ROAM began beeping from the speakers of her computer and she opened her eyes quickly, immediately sitting forward in her chair and typing a command on her keyboard to load the hit. A social media post filled the screen. As she read through the text, her eyes began to widen and she scrambled up from her desk a second later, grabbing her tablet and practically running down the hall into the President's office.

"Misaki?" The President's startled voice asked as she swiftly entered the office, heading directly toward the seating area in front of a large television on the far wall.

"I think it's happening," she said somberly as she moved to pick up the remote from on top of the console table beneath the screen.

"The attack?" The President asked, rising from her desk, and walking over at a hurried pace.

Misaki nodded, turning the television on, and switching the input to her tablet.

"Where?"

"Deika City in the Aichi prefecture. ROAM flagged a social media post about a large-scale villain attack in the city with widespread damage that's consistent with Shigaraki's Decay quirk," she explained, navigating quickly to the website with the post.

"Do we have anyone in the area?" The President asked as she read through the post displayed on the screen.

Misaki switched the applications to display her communications terminal and the website side by side.

"I've sent out inquiries to the agencies in Deika and the surrounding area—" She cut off sharply all of a sudden, her eyes flying up to the post on the left side of the screen now displayed as a yellow triangle with an exclamation point.