Chapter Sixteen: Tailspin

*WARNING: THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS SOME SEXUAL CONTENT. READER DISCRETION ADVISED*

Misaki entered the President's office with her tablet in hand, closing the door behind her before announcing, "I have a new report from Hawks."

The President rose from her desk and walked over to the meeting area where Misaki was setting up the television to mirror her tablet. "Fill me in."

A pyramid diagram with several names and faces filled the television screen and Misaki explained, "He's laid out the hierarchy of the Paranormal Liberation Front."

She zoomed in on the top of the pyramid. "There are four main regiments, led by Shigaraki as a grand commander, of sorts. I expect with him being absent that he's left one or two of his lieutenants in charge of their main base of operations, most likely the former leader of the Meta Liberation Front, Re-Destro, and one other as an assistant. Possibly Skeptic or Trumpet."

The President nodded to her to continue.

She zoomed out on the top of the pyramid and focused in on the middle section. "Within the four regiments, there are seven lieutenants, each with three assistants under their command. It's likely that the League members have been paired with the Meta Liberation leaders to even out the authority of each branch."

She hadn't had very much to go on from Hawks's descriptions. A lot of what she'd put together was inferred from the numbers he'd given her and what he'd used them in reference to throughout his report. She knew all of the current members of the League, and the recording Hawks had slipped her after their first dinner meeting had filled in the names of the Liberation leaders. They'd been able to use voice recognition to match several of them to recordings on the internet, giving them real names to go with their code names. She couldn't say yet for sure who was running which regiment, but she expected that information would be revealed at some point during the next few weeks; once he'd discovered most of the important information, such as the rest of the base locations and the members on hand at each of them.

The image of the pyramid shifted on the screen to focus on the lower portion as Misaki continued, "Given what we already know about the bases we're already aware of, we can deduce that each assistant is likely in charge of overseeing one of them. That would mean that there are at least twenty-one bases, not including the main headquarters at Gunga Mountain. Figuring out where the rest of them are located and who is on staff at each of them is the next task on Hawks's agenda."

The President nodded somberly before asking, "Do you know yet if they've taken the bait with the book?"

Misaki turned off the television and canceled the mirroring on her tablet before turning toward her and nodding. "He mentioned it when we parted. I think they're on the line."

The President inclined her head approvingly. "Good. We'll make sure to have a list of dummy ops ready by this time next week."

She involuntarily dropped her eyes at the President's mention of next week before nodding again in an affirmative response.

"Are you having second thoughts?" The woman asked, clearly having noticed her sudden uneasiness.

Misaki looked up, clutching her tablet to her chest as she shook her head. "No, not at all."

"But next week is Valentine's Day," the President inferred with a knowing tone.

Misaki swallowed uncomfortably and dropped her eyes again, trailing off, "Yeah..."

The President held out her hand and gestured for her to sit, following suit on the other side of the couch as she asked, "How are you doing?"

"Are you asking me personally or professionally?" Misaki asked, keeping her eyes downcast.