iii. 𝘸𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘳𝘢𝘷𝘬𝘢

⏤ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘳

⏤ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘳

𝐀𝐧𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐧 𝐬𝐮𝐫𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞𝐥𝐲 𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐣𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐫𝐢𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐚𝐥 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐦𝐬𝐞𝐥𝐯𝐞𝐬.

Pretending they are something they are not.

To go out one night and be the badass version of yourself, until emotions coming knocking on your door with a fruit basket.

Although, Kaz knows how to be a criminal, to morph into one. It seems like he has too much control over his mind and his body, over everything belonging to him. Control. It's what feed his greed.

Kaz believes he has control. He really does.

But, Dara knows it's only his mind allowing him to think he has control. His mind has overpowered his heart, and will continues to overpower until his mind gets the satisfaction it craves for.

People believe that the mind is the toxic one and the heart is the one that does good. Sure, people may think like that, but in reality they work hand in hand. Dara's heart remains pure, and so her mind works with the purity she tries so hard to keep within her grasp. Even if her heart is tainted, as long as a fragment is pure, she will be able to live with the curiosity and wonder her eyes shine brightly with.

Kaz Brekker's heart is tainted. Tainted a beautiful midnight black with nothing, but revenge. And so, his heart drives his mind. It drives him to be cruel, to think of nothing, but kruge, to think of how to better his empire with the risk of losing it all in the end.

Dara has always wanted to ask, "is it worth it?"

But, as always, she bites her tongue.

It's been a couple of hours since the incident involving Pekka Rollins, and both Dara and Kaz make there way onto the bar where Jesper is leaning, waiting for his drink. As soon as the drink is placed down, Kaz grabs it, shooting it down as Jesper looks to be in distraught.

Dara holds her jokes, Jesper giving her a tired look as she only winks. Jesper and her have an interesting bond as similarities. Both try to see the positive outlook for situations, working together to make sure everything isn't as gloomy as Kaz always portrays is to be.

"You alright, boss?" Jesper leans his upper half body against the bar table.

"No." Kaz states, glancing to Dara, "I've been warned off the job."

"By who?"

Kaz tries very hard not to roll his eyes, "who do you think?"

Jesper looks to Dara, waiting for some confirmation as she nods lowly. Jesper gets up, "did he remember you?"