viii. 𝘐 𝘯𝘦𝘦𝘥 𝘺𝘰𝘶. 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦, 𝘮𝘪𝘯𝘥

⏤ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘳

⏤ 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘸𝘰𝘯𝘥𝘦𝘳𝘦𝘳

𝐃𝐚𝐫𝐚 𝐝𝐢𝐝 𝐧𝐨𝐭 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰 𝐡𝐨𝐰 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐲 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐲𝐞𝐝 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐭 that smelled of rotten egg stewed with death, but as long as she was still breathing she would not complain...for now.

Dara keeps her eyes to her fingers: her slender fingers, tracing them, feeling them...whenever she felt as if it was too tight, physically or mentally, she would try to ground herself with touch.

She usually touches the walls, but, in this case, she didn't know what was laced onto these walls; how many people touched these walls and whether or not the stench was outside or inside.

And so, she opted for her fingers...and then her vest...and then her hair. Her hair that is not real. Only Jesper knows though, and that in itself is a uncomfortable thought. Dara never meant for any of them to find out, but Jesper does not know how to knock half the time and so he found Dara standing at her sink taking out the multiple pins along with the black wig.

She got the wig when she was still at home, not needing a permanent feature attached to her as a reminder of what she has lost. Both her and her brother had their mother's white long soft hair.

Dara's father said it what was attracted him to her in the first place.

Dara tried very hard not to remember her father, and, at times, she cannot. The trauma she has endured prevents her from seeing his face. I don't remember what he looks like. Until, she has a nightmare of him, but the moment her eyes open back to reality she cannot remember.

What a cruel being the mind is.

She is curious about the man. Whether he changed or remained in that house to pass on. Although, she never wished him dead, but maybe that was because she did want answers.

Why me?

I didn't kill her, you did.

Ever so, why did you point the finger to me?

Dara thoughts shatter when a metal clink is heard, the Dregs shifting. Jesper is the first to open his mouth, "what was that?"

"I've erected a system of timers along the line. Bits of metal hung on poles to keep me apprised of our pace."

Dara reads people, it is one of the traits Kaz relies on, and she believes she has cracked the Conductor. Now, trying not to feed into Kaz's ego, most people, when meeting someone who has not light in their eyes, gets immediately intimidated.