21

Lydia carried three Macy's bags as she entered Allison's house. Since she made Tabitha go shopping with her, she was willing to carry the bags. If there was one thing Tabitha despised it was long shopping trips. Unfortunately, she was friends with Lydia, which meant countless long shopping trips.

"Clear your schedules," Lydia said. "This could take awhile."

She placed the bags on Allison's bed and Allison asked, "How many outfits do you plan on wearing tonight?"

Lydia met her eyes and shrugged. "It's my birthday party. I'm thinking host dress." She held up a grey-striped dress. "Evening dress, then, mm, after hours casual."

Tabitha sat as she scrolled through Pinterest, smiling periodically.

Allison said, "I noticed you didn't send out any invites."

Lydia shot Allison a look. "It's the biggest party of the year, Allison. Everyone knows."

Allison was silent for a moment. "I was wondering if maybe this year, you know, might be different."

"Why would anything be different?"

"Just 'cause things have been off lately. Things and people. Like Jackson."

Lydia's voice took on an icy tone. "What do you care about Jackson?"

Tabitha glanced up and said, "Is he coming? He was a big part of your life."

Lydia frowned. "Everyone's coming." She held a beige dress to her body. "This one's America rag. Mm, I love it. For me, not you. Tabitha, this is yours." She handed Tabitha the dark blue dress she'd picked. "This one's material girl. It's for you." She offered Allison a floral print dress and turned to see Allison's mom. "Ms. Argent. What do you think of this one?"

Mrs. Argent nodded half-heartedly. "Oh, it's lovely. Allison, uh, can I grab you for a moment to talk? Just the two of us."

Allison didn't look up. "Um, can we do it later?"

"Actually, uh, to be honest, sooner would be -- would be better."

Tabitha frowned, realizing the scary looking short-haired woman wanted to say goodbye to her daughter.

"Party's at 10:00," Lydia said.

Mrs. Argent licked her lips. "Um, will you be around before then?"

Allison let out a sigh. "I think so."

"You think so."

"I don't know."

Tabitha shot Allison a look. "You should talk to her. Don't be bitchy."

Allison turned to Tabitha and narrowed her eyes. "I'll talk to her when I feel like it."

"Make it soon."

Allison's eyes narrowed further. "Don't tell me what to do. You say I'm being bitchy? Well so are you."

Tabitha scoffed. "You have no idea who you're dealing with." Her eyes flashed purple as she let out a sarcastic laugh. "Don't make me go Scarlet Witch on your ass. No, it's not worth it." She stalked to the door and turned to her fellow redhead. "Happy birthday, Lydia."

"Thank you, Tabitha," Lydia replied.

After a moment, Lydia let out a sigh and said, "Making her mad is a bad idea. Weird things happen when she gets mad. Let's get back to the dresses." She pulled out another one. "Oh, I guess that black one would fit. All right, here you go." She handed the dress to Allison and cocked her head. "No, it's too much."

Allison smiled. "I think I like it."

"You like it?"

She nodded. "Yeah, no, I do. Happy birthday."