LAY THE OLD GHOST TO REST

Jungkook's POV

Jungkook put down the phone and stood up from the leather chair. In custom-made Italian trousers and shirt, he walked over to the window of his office and stuck his hands deep in his pockets. The action drew the fabric taut over his buttocks, the shirt stretched over broad shoulders. He cut an impressive, very masculine figured silhouette against  the window.

He thought back to the other night. The remnants of the shock of seeing Jimin again still lingered. Along with the shock of how much Jimin had changed, and the desire that had pounded through his entire body. That still pouded through it just from hearing the omega's  voice.

It had been harder to extricate himself from Izobelle than he'd thought. It jad taken two nights. More jewellery. And dinner in the newest, most expensive restaurant.

She'd been more tenacious than he'd realised and he was relieved that episode was over. She'd begun to fancy herself as perhaps being in line for marriage and had not been pleased to discover that, instead, he'd wanted to end things.

He looked out at the horizon, his gaze skipping absently over the Eiffel Tower in the distance. His thoughts centred on Jimin.

The omega's silvery-grey eyes flashed again in his mind's eye. Seven years might as well have been seven seconds. He'd been transported back in time that quickly.

Felt all the old emotions surge up. Emotions he'd long thought he had under control. Apparently not.

He'd been such a fool all those years ago. How had he missed seeing Jimin's true colours? How had he ever thought for a second of Jimin's family being closer to him than even his own? He would have been better off knowing he was alone in this world.

His hand clenched into a fist as he remembered how vindictive the omega had been. And how he hadn't seen it coming at all.

He'd been fooled into somehow believing that he of all people wouldn't have changed.

He could still remember seeing him across the room that night, smiling sweetly at him. It had been like balm to his ravaged spirit. A cool reminder of happier times, more carefree concerns, and moon Goddess knew he'd needed that reminder at the time.

And then to have him morph into some kind of temptress, right in front his very eyes. He could still feel the astonishment that had slammed into him. So immobilising that he hadn't even pulled away from Jimin's kiss immediately.

Everyone along the way had shown their true colours in the end. Even his  own family. But for  Jimin to join those ranks... and to behave in a way that he would never have even imagined. The omega had, had him thrown out of his house, his fiancee's life, and his name had been dragged through the mud, which had resulted in  shareholders withdrawing from the company as they wouldn't work with an alpha who took advantage of underage omegas. This had left the company in ruins and him homeless.

By using his own e-mail to send the photo and story, it had been so obvious Jimin had meant it like a taunt! And the omega had had the nerve to reveal deeply personal  details to the newspaper that only he could have known... because he had been the only person Jungkook had ever told them to. Details like wishes and dreams... aspirations that had had nothing to do with what had been expected of him.

His mouth slashed into a grim line. The vulture who had already smelt a possible weakness on his father's death had had circled for a long time. Including, the venomous bitch that had given birth to him, his mother. She had been the queen of the vulture. He repressed a shudder. And they'd nearly got him.

He had to acknowledge that when he'd told Jimin those things he'd been two years younger, before his father had died, and Jimin had been fifteen.

He hadn't yet been flung at top speed into a reality that had torn any rose-tinted dreams into shreds. A reality that had mocked him for having being so open, so naive. The fact that Jimin would have stored those conversations up to use in such a way made his stomach turn.

That period had been the turning point for so much. A turning point that had meant he'd  never, ever let anyone get that close to him again. He operated on his own now. He didn't need anyone.

He slammed a fist against the wall beside him. How could Jimin have changed so much in those two years? He closed his eyes. He'd asked himself those questions over and over. The fact was, he'd been betrayed.

All he'd ever represented to anyone around him had been a means to make money. To generate wealth. When he'd turned his back on Jimin that day, he'd turned his back on a lot of things.

Enough.

Park Jimin was about to learn what it meant to cross Jeon Jungkook. It was time for him to taste a little of the reality he'd had to taste.

His mind went to the plans he'd set in motion since seeing Jimin again. It was true that he'd never been one with a lust for revenge, seeing it only as a device that could betray emotion.

When all around him had descended to that visceral level in business, he never had. And it was part of the secret of his success. Part of what had helped him claw back control, get to the top. Go further than even his father had done.

He thought of how, when Jimin's uncle Si-hyuk had come to him for help, he'd debated for a long time whether or not to entertain the man. He'd made the right decision. Fate had just told him so.

Now he was willing to rethink his views on revenge... especially when it was laid out for him so enticingly, so temptingly, when his loins ached with hunger that was all too rare.

It was time for him to lay the ghost of the past to rest and indulge... a little.

~~~~~~~ TO BE CONTINUED ~~~~~~~