5 Cheesecake and heated makeouts

My own screaming wakes me from my sleep. My chest feels tight as I choke, gasping for air.

His hand was around my neck, he was holding me off the ground. I search frantically for my notebook. It's still in my suitcase. I unpack it quickly and begin to furiously sketch his eyes, deep red and menacing. He brought his face so close to mine I could see tiny flecks of gold, in his lava eyes.

It felt so real. I rub my hand over my neck, almost expecting a bruise there.

Everything is fading so fast I don't remember anything else.

A little tap on my door draws my attention. Shit. I'm not used to having people around. I probably woke someone up. This is the worst nightmare I've had since I arrived here.

I tiptoe toward the door, pulling it open.

Lily is standing there, wrapped up in a fluffy robe, concern etched in her face.

"You ok, Annie?"

"Yes, I'm so sorry I woke you."

"Don't apologize. Will you be able to get back to sleep?"

I look back at the clock. It's nearly six.

"Probably not" I smile.

"Want to come help me in the kitchen?"

I nod eagerly, I would love that.

"Let's get changed. I'll be right back."

I'm not sure what we will be doing but I assume it might get messy. I pick a pair of black skinny jeans and a black long sleeved shirt. If I spill anything on myself it won't show.

Ten minutes later we're walking down to the kitchen together, creeping quietly through the dark, silent house.

"How about we have some coffee first? Then we can start with the other stuff." Lily asks.

"Perfect"

"Some of the guys threw a bunch of meat in the smokers last night. I was thinking we could make some cookies and maybe cheesecakes for desert."

"That sounds amazing" I smile. I'm not sure if I've ever made a cheesecake before but I would like to.

"Are you nervous about going to Las Vegas?" She asks while sipping her coffee.

"I'm nervous that this other pack won't be as kind or welcoming as you have been. Do you know this alpha?"

"No. I've never met him. I know he's friends with Alpha Hunter though. They did their leadership training together."

"They have leadership training?" This is all much more official than I was expecting.

"Yeah, from sixteen to eighteen future Alphas go to a training camp in Montana. They learn how to lead a pack, about national pack laws, stuff like that. Plus, they make connections and friendships with other Alphas."

"Makes sense. How many of you are there?" I cup my hand over my mouth "was that rude? I'm sorry."

She laughs "it's ok to be curious. There are about three million of us in North America. Worldwide, about seven million. It seems like a lot but really it's a pretty small population."