Chapter 9: Trick or Treater Trouble

The next day, as the pumpkin orange sun shone down upon the streets of Halloween Town, Jack and Zero had finished showing (Y/n) all the sights the city had to offer.

"I must say, Jack, Halloween Town seems like it's very enjoyable to live in. No doubt that it's thanks to you being the king." (Y/n) said as the trio walked down the stone streets.

"I'm not technically a king but I still do what I can to help out. After all, everyone in town is my friend and I'm always willing to help a friend." Jack replied, straightening his bat-shaped bowtie.

"Well then, you do a very good job at helping."

"Thank you, Miss (Y/n). That's very kind of you." 

Before (Y/n) had a chance to respond to the tall, thin man, Zero barked loudly, zipping forward and growling at a tree. 

"Zero, what's wrong with -" (Y/n) began before the small dog yapped once more at the dark and gnarled trunk. 

As she listened more attentively to her surroundings, she could hear shuffling from the other side of the tree. Sharing a concerned look with Jack, (Y/n) and her skeletal companion cautiously took a few steps towards the sound.

With one final woof from Zero, the shuffling stopped before a cacophony of screeches rang out and got closer to the trio.

Jumping back in fright, (Y/n) yelped as three small figures darted out from behind the tree.

"Ah! Scatter before he can get us all!" Screamed a short, pudgy boy as he hid behind (Y/n)'s legs.

"I don't wanna get bit again!" Cried another boy, dressed in red and following close behind the other.

"Wait for me, you idiots!" A girl shouted fearfully as she joined her cohorts.

"Lock, Shock and Barrel! What have you three gotten up to now?!" Jack scolded as their heads popped out from behind (y/n).

As Jack angrily peered down at the trio, they all stepped out from their hiding place behind (Y/n) and stood in front of the pair with their heads held low, keeping an eye on Zero as his eyes narrowed at them.

"We weren't doing anything!" The boy in red said as he removed his devil mask.

"Yeah, we were only following you three around town!" The shorter boy said with a goofy grin before his friends smacked him upside the head.

"I told you not to tell them that, Barrel!" The girl hissed as she angrily crossed her arms.

"Well, what was I supposed to do, Shock?! Jack asked what we were doing so I answered him!" Barrel shrugged as Jack glared down at them.

"You're such a dunce, you were supposed to have lied to him!" 

"Shut it, Lock!" Barrel said as he pushed the crimson clad boy away from him.

As Lock shoved Barrel back, Shock joined in to insult the boys, which quickly turned into an all out argument and wrestling match between the three children.

Looking down at the chaos with a sigh, Jack shook his head before he roared horrifyingly, making Lock, Shock and Barrel stop in their tracks.

"Alright, enough of this madness! Why in the world were you following us?!" Jack said, rubbing his temples as the fighting finally subsided.

The trio looked warily at each other before Shock shook her head in a silent agreement to the boys.

"Well, we wanted to know who this lady is!" Lock answered as he pointed up at (Y/n).

"Who? Me?..." (Y/n) asked nervously as she pointed a finger to her chest.

"Yeah! We've never seen you around town before so we wanted to know what kind of monster you were!" Shock stated as she got up and dusted herself off.

"Well, I- I'm not actually a monster. I'm just a person, you see?"

(Y/n) twirled around gently as the kids came closer, curious about the new stranger in their city.

"Well, do you like to go trick or treating?"

"I haven't gone in trick or treating in a long time, but I do like to trick or treat!" (Y/n) nodded softly as she crouched down to be face to face with the three children.

"Then that makes you good in our book!" The boy in a skeleton costume chuckled as he looked at his friends, who giggled along with him.

"Oh, thank you! My name is (Y/n), it's nice to meet you three." 

(Y/n) offered a hand to the trick-or-treaters with a smile before all three kids took it in response.

"It's nice to meet you too! I'm Lock!"

"I'm Shock!"

"And I'm Barrel! You should come trick or treat with us for the day. It'll be fun!"

"I'd love to, Barrel, but I- uh- have some things I have to take care of today."

"Yes there's that, but I also don't want you three to try and corrupt (Y/n) with your pranks and mischief."

"Us, pranking people?!" Lock gasped exaggeratedly.

"We would never!" Shock stated sarcastically as they all laughed

"I wouldn't want to ruin Miss (Y/n)'s fancy dress." Barrel said as he stared enchantedly at the pattern on the skirt of (Y/n)'s outfit.

"Sure you wouldn't. Why don't you three bother someone else for a while? Or do I have to send Zero after you again?" 

Zero's nose turned red as Jack smirked down at the now shaking trio. Nervously backing away, Lock, Shock and Barrel gulped anxiously as the dog crept nearer.

"Uh, yeah! Sure thing! Bye, Miss (Y/n)!" Shock waved before she, Lock and Barrel all ran off, trying to avoid Zero as they left.

Jack sighed once more as he turned to (Y/n) with an apologetic expression on his face.

"I'm sorry you had to deal with their antics, Miss (Y/n). They can be a handful to deal with at times." Jack sighed as he rubbed the back of his neck.

"It's alright. They were actually quite sweet."

"They aren't always like that though. Normally they're quite chaotic and can cause a dreadful lot of trouble."

"They're only children, Jack, what kind of  trouble could they possibly cause?" (Y/n) answered as she, Jack and Zero walked away.

Once Zero, Jack and (Y/n) were far enough away, Lock, Shock and Barrel came out of hiding before they whistled loudly, a living porcelain tub running up to them just as soon as they did. Quickly hopping in, the three immediately began to conspire.

"Oooh, Mr. Oogie will be so excited to hear there's a new person in Halloween Town!" Shock said as the pair began moving down the road in their walking tub.

"Let's go tell him right now!" Lock answered with a wicked grin appearing on his face.

"He's gonna be so proud of me!" Barrel announced with his hands proudly placed on his hips.

"Of us, you dummy!" Shock said as she kicked Barrel on the shin.  Barrel hit her on the arm as Lock joined in, smacking Barrel on the face.

More fighting broke out as the trick-or-treaters all were carried out of town and towards their treehouse.