Prologue: Happy Beginnings

"(Y/n), where are you? You can't hide forever!" The melodious voice of your older sister rang out.

"Where are you, you silly girl?" She giggled as she searched around your family's library, which was darkening with the setting sun.

She scoured behind the many book cases and under one of the few reading chairs around the room before standing up and looking around. Just before she left the room, she heard a soft, brief laugh.

"(Y/n), I heard you! I know you're here somewhere!" She exclaimed as she looked under your father's desk. As she continued her hunt, she heard several more tiny giggles erupt from behind a curtain.

"Oh, where could my little (Y/n) be? Is there a possibility that she is hiding... behind the drapes?!" She half cheered before pulling the fabric of the curtains aside to reveal your small form.

You tried to run away, but before you could escape, she scooped you into her arms. She took a single, slender hand and started to tickle you, loud giggles bursting from your little lips.

"There you are! I've finally found you, my darling little sister!" She laughed as she twirled around with you in her grip.

"It isn't fair, Viola. You're bigger than me, so it's easier for you to find me." You pouted and turned from her sight, trying to to hide the grin forming on your face.

"That's not the reason I was able to find you so easily, silly. You never can stay quiet for very long, the sound of your laughter gives you away." Viola explained with a slight chuckle.

"That's not true. I'm as silent as a mouse when I hide!" You told Viola with certainty.

She simply shook her head and chuckled softly before replying.

"If you say so, (Y/n). Now, how would you like to come to piano lessons with me? I'm being taught a song that I know you would absolutely love!"

"Oh, I would like that very, very much! Will Momma be there too?" You inquired gleefully

"Yes, Mother will be there! You know she wouldn't miss it for the world!"

"Then, what are we waiting for? Let's go!" You shouted while pointing towards the rooms door.

Viola placed you back on the floor before taking your hand and began to lead you into the large expanse of your massive home.

You were (Y/n) Van Dort, daughter of Victor and Victoria Van Dort. Your parents were a famous piano duo, who loved each other very much. Viola was your big sister. She was twice your age, being 12 while you were 6. Although there was a considerable age gap between the two of you, you both were each others best friend. You both couldn't imagine your life without one another in it.

You continued to walk through your home with Viola still holding your hand. As you kept walking you could hear soft music resonating from another room. The closer you got to your destination, the louder the music became. Before too long, you and your sister reached a medium sized, ornate door. The music was the loudest when you were standing outside of the door.

Viola let go of your hand to grab the doorknob and push the door open. Once the interior of the room was visible to you and Viola, you were greeted with the sight of your father playing a tune on the piano and your mother sitting in a chair, listening to him play. You and Viola quietly entered the room, walking over to your mother, who smiled, picked you up and placed you on the chair with her. Viola sat on the floor next to the both of you.

"Hello girls! How are you?" Your mother whispered to Viola and you as your father kept playing.

" We're doing well, Momma! Papa's song is very pretty. What is it called?" you asked in a hushed voice.

"I'm not sure, darling, but it's the song he played on the day we first met." Victoria explained quietly.

"Really? I've heard him play it before, but I didn't know that!" Viola said.

"I like it! I wish he would tell us what it's called." You whispered to Victoria and Viola.

Before your mother and sister could answer, they were interrupted by another voice.

"To tell you the truth, (Y/n), I don't even know what it's called. I made it up the day I met your mother. I haven't played it since the first time I began teaching Viola how to play. Now, aren't you two going to say hello to your dear father?"

You and Viola turned towards the voice and saw that your father had stopped playing the piano and was now facing you.

"Well, girls?" Victor inquired.

You quickly slid off of your mother's lap and ran over to the piano to give your father a hug.

"Hi, Papa! How are you?" You asked happily.

"I'm perfect now that the two of you are here. Now then, Viola, are you ready for your lesson with me?"

"Yes, Papa!" Viola stated as she left her spot on the floor.

"Then, let's get started!"

Viola sat down at the piano while your father stood off to the side. Once she was ready, she began to play.

You listened intently as Viola's fingers glided elegantly across the keys of the piano. You were in a trance as she continued to play the song.

Once she finished the piece, you and your parents clapped happily.

"That was wonderful, darling! You're just as good as your Father and I!
Perhaps even better!" Victoria exclaimed.

"I agree! I'm very proud of you. And I'm sure (Y/n) is too!" Victor said

"Of course I am! It was an amazing song! You we're right when you said I would absolutely love it. I think it's my new favorite song." You confirmed.

"Thank you, (Y/n). Would you like to hear another one?" Viola asked sweetly.

" I'm sorry, Viola, but she has to go to sleep now.
You can play more for her tommorow." Your father stated.

" Oh, Papa, can I please stay up and listen more? I promise I'll behave!"

"(Y/n), you stayed up late last night. You need your sleep."

"Oh, alright. I guess I'll go. Goodnight, Viola." You relented sorrowfully as you gave her a hug goodnight.

"Goodnight, my silly girl. I'll see you tomorrow morning, ok?"

You nodded slowly before also saying good night to your father.

Taking your mother's hand, you followed her to your room upstairs Once you arrived, Victoria helped you into your bed.

"I hope you sleep well, dear. I love you very much." She spoke before she said something else.

"(Y/n), listen. Can you hear that?"

You listened carefully and heard the sound of the piano ascending from the music room downstairs

"It's Viola's new song! I can hear it!"

"It's almost as if your sister is playing it to help you sleep! Isn't that lovely, little one?"

"Yes, Mama!" You answered merrily

Victoria simply giggled softly before hugging you and going to the door.

" Goodnight, (Y/n)." She said as she put out the light.

"Goodnight, Mama." You responded before as she closed the door.

You laid back on your bed and listened to the sound of the piano echoing throughout the house. Before too long, your eyes grew heavy with sleep as you fell into a deep, peaceful sleep, dreaming about your family, wishing that nothing would ever change between you and your family.