Chapter 4: A Means to An End

The following day, (Y/n) decided to spend all her time with Viola in her room. She sat in a nearby chair as she read a book to her older sister.

" "I don't want to leave!" Cried Camilla as she turned to face her new friends.

"I know it's hard, but you've already done your part here. It's time for you to go." Claimed Antoinette as she pulled the girl in for a hug. Derek placed his arms around them as well as tears cascaded down Camilla's face.

"But what if I forget you?! I couldn't bear not knowing you anymore."

"You won't forget us! As long as we're in your heart, we'll be in your thoughts too."

"We'll still be with you even if you don't see us for a very long time..." "

A low groan rang through the room and (Y/n) looked up from her book to see Viola clutching at her stomach and chest.

"Viola, what's wrong? Are you okay?!" The girl began to panic as she swept I've to her sisters side.

"I'm fine, darling. Just, uh, a little hungry is all. Would you mind going to the market again? I think some more plums will do me good."

"I don't know..."

"Please,(Y/n)? It would make me really happy." Begged Viola. (Y/n) stared warily at her sister before sighing in defeat.

"Alright, I'll go. But you can't leave this bed, okay? You're still too weak to get up."

"It's a deal. Thank you."

"You're welcome, Vi. I love you."

"I love you too, silly girl." Viola said with a soft, almost sad smile.

(Y/n) gave Viola a big hug before she stood up and exited the room. The girl went down the steps as quickly as she could, wanting to get there and back as soon as possible.

Putting on her cloak as she went, she nearly started to jog towards the town as a wind began to blow around her.

Her shoes clicked against the cobblestone ground as she hurried to get through the crowded market. Almost shoving past people on her way, she finally marched over to the wood cart, payed for the fruit and left, a lot less quickly than she arrived.

Right as she left the hustle and bustle of the market, a man galloped past on a horse, almost knocking her over.

"Watch where you're going!" (Y/n) shouted as the man departed into the distance.

Huffing slightly as the wind began to pick up, she began to sprint back to the Van Dort mansion. Her cloak stared whipping behind her as she ran a little faster with each step.

With a few silent pants falling out of her mouth, she at last made her way back to her home.

(Y/n) ascended the short staircase and placed her hand on the doorknob right before someone yanked the egress open.

She came face to face with Victor, who's face was covered with distress. She took a step back to stop her father

"Papa, what's going on?"

"(Y/n), She's gone." The man answered as he placed is hands on his daughters shoulders.

"What do you mean? Why did mother leave?"

"Not your mother... Viola."

(Y/n) pupils shrank as a look of utter dread washed over her features.

"No,no,no,NO! NO!" (Y/n) screamed as she pushed past her father and into the house.

"(Y/n), don't!" Called Victor as he began to run after her.

(Y/n) began to sob as she dashed as fast as humanly possible through the hallways to Viola's room, her father having yet to catch up with her.

She stumbled around one last corner, seeing the light from the doorway before racing down the last corridor.

(Y/n) slid to a halt as she stared at the sight of Viola laying limply in the plush of her bed, and the man on the horse, now revealed to be Doctor Roland, shutting her eyes forever.

Victor managed to catch (Y/n) as the Doctor pulled a white sheet over Viola's face.

The girl fell to her knees as she began to wail and cry. Victor dropped down and held (Y/n) as everything she had been feeling came out in one explosive moment.

Dr. Roland exited Viola's room with a gentle close of the door as he took off his hat and bowed his head

"I'm so sorry. I'll be back with Mr. Morigan to take her to the morgue."

Victor could only nod as the doctor stepped around them and down the hallway before vanishing around the corner.

"(Y/n), we have to go. Come on, darling." The man quietly said as he helped her off the ground. (Y/n) continued to cry loudly as Victor slowly led her towards the piano room, where her mother and Alistair were already waiting, tear-fall extremely evident on both of their faces.

The moment Victoria caught sight of (Y/n), she stood up and wrapped her in a tight embrace. They knelt down onto the ground as they both sobbed in unison.

"Tell me this isn't real, Mama! Say she's still here!"

"Darling, I wish I could! God, I wish I could!" Wept Victoria as she held (Y/n).

"She's gone, and I wasn't even here to say goodbye! She died alone because of me!"

"(Y/n), listen to me! This is not your fault, not in the least bit! You didn't have any idea this was going to happen!"

"But I could have at least been here for her! I knew she was in pain but I left anyway!"

"Your mother is right, (Y/n). Do not blame yourself. You couldn't have known she was going to pass today. We all assumed we would still have a while with her. But she's gone... And there's nothing we can do about it." Alistair stated as he looked out the window.

He tried to hold back a quiet whimper as he began to wipe away tears pooling in his eyes, but the sorrow became too much for him.

Many droplets of water fell from Alistair's face and the obsidian haired man was quickly pulled into the huddle.

"The love of my life... Gone for good... I don't think I can ever love again." He cried as the two remaining Van Dort women wept with him.

(Y/n) pulled away from her mother and Alistair to see her father sitting against the wall, his hand covering his eyes to hide the pain.

Hildegarde almost soundlessly walked in to inform Victor that the doctor and mortician had gotten back to retrieve Viola's body.

The devastated man got up and began to slowly make his decent through the hallway and down the staircase. (Y/n) sat unmoving for a few minutes until she saw Dr.Roland and Mr. Morigan carrying a sheet covered stretcher back down the corridor leading to Viola's room.

As they got closer, (Y/n) could clearly see the outline of her sisters body as they began to carry her away. She got up slowly and followed wordlessly behind them until she reached the front door. She watched as they placed Viola's corpse in the back of a carriage before they drove away towards the morgue.

"Dear, you have to come inside. It's getting dark."
Victor advised as he led (Y/n) back into the mansion and to her room.

"You should get some sleep. The funeral will be tomorrow..."

The door shut behind Victor with a tiny click as (Y/n) sat on her bed in shock. Unable to think of anything else to do, she laid down and closed her eyes, letting silent tears fall down her face.