Chapter 2: Some Grave News

"She's.... what?....." (Y/n) questioned with a shocked look on her face.

"She's dying, (Y/n)... of tuberculosis. The doctor said it's worse than any case he's ever seen before." Victor told the girl with a hand held underneath his chin.

"Th-there has to be something Doctor Roland can do! Some medicine or herbal remedy, perhaps?"

"(Y/n), he already tried when she first got sick. Doctor Roland thought she just wasn't drinking enough water, so he said to just give her time to recuperate. And when he came to check up on her, he knew he had been wrong."

"We can't let her go like this, father!" (Y/n) tried to reason as she latched on to her father's side.

"Darling, we have to. We have no way to fight it. It's a small miracle she's managed to live this long."

"Well, tell him to look for a cure! I won't let Viola die! I won't let my best friend go!" (Y/n) cried as teardrops began to flow down her face.

"(Y/n), we have to let her go. There's- there's nothing we can do now..." Alistair tried to reason with the girl as he choked on his words and held back tears of his own.

"Alistair, please... she's your true love, you have to help me help her!"

"I want to, (Y/n), more than anything in the world, but even if we were to find a cure, by then it would be too late. She'd be gone before we could help."

"That's not true! We just have to hurry to the hospital and get another doctor to help us find something!" (Y/n) argued, tugging on Alistair's sleeve.

"(Y/n), you have to listen to reason. Please understand there's nothing we can do..."

"No! I'm not going to stand around and wait for her to die!" (Y/n) shouted as she dashed out the door and down the hallway. Her footsteps thumped against the polished floor as she sprinted her way down the hallway.

"Darling, wait!" Victor called out as he and Alistair chased after her. She ignored their pleas and kept running until she reached the front door. (Y/n) yanked it open with all her might and slipped outside as fast as humanly possible. She ran out of the courtyard and through the town. Soon enough, she became overly tired and she collapsed in the middle of a distant bridge.

Sobs escaped from her already tear ridden face as she leaned against the side rail, pulled her knees to her chest, and cried into her arms.

Only moments later, she heard a shout of her name from the end of the bridge followed by footsteps and a pair of arms being wrapped around her.

"I know it's frightening, (Y/n). But you have to be brave. If not for Me, Alistair or your mother, then for Viola. You at least owe her that."

"I don't want to lose Viola. Why couldn't it have been me, Papa?" Sniffled (Y/n), burying her face into Victor's shoulder.

"(Y/n), you know just as well as I do that if you were sick, Viola would do the same thing you just did. But there's no changing what's bound to happen."

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to cause a scene, Papa..."

"It's alright, darling, I forgive you. We should go home and tell her. She deserves to know." Victor told his daughter, offering a hand to help her up.

(Y/n) took a deep breath in before standing up and holding onto her father again, the pair making their way back to the mansion.