Chapter 1: The Reality of Things

"(Y/n), did you hear me?" A voice called to you, pulling you away from your thoughts. You were sitting by the window, watching the red leaves fall from the trees outside.

It's been many years since that night in the music room, but you still think of that memory everyday. The happiness you felt then is the only thing that brought you comfort when your sister first fell sick a few days ago.

"I'm sorry, Hildegarde, I must have drifted off into a daydream. What were you saying?" You asked, nodding in her direction.

"Your mother wanted me to tell you that Viola is awake now, and that she asked for you." The maid told you. You stood up from your chair quickly and tried to make yourself presentable.
Hildegarde stepped aside to let you pass, and you began to walk towards Viola's bedroom. 

Your house was very large but never felt cold or empty, seeing as there was always laughter and music floating through the halls. But as of now, with Viola being sick, that coldness seems to be creeping into the edges of your vison.

Shaking away the upsetting idea of something ominous around every corner, you took a deep breath and continued to walk down the hallways of the Van Dort Manor.

As you turned into the corridor that leads to where Viola's room is, you saw your mother standing outside the door with her head resting in one of her hands. You clear your throat as you approach her, which makes her lift her head up.

"Oh, You're here (Y/n), thank goodness! Viola is still in her bed, but she's awake now. You can go in, but if you don't want to, I can tell her that you are with your father in town."

"No, mother, I want to see her. I've missed her and she probably wants someone to talk to. She has been asleep for a week now."

"Yes, she has. I just wish we knew why it happened." Victoria said sadly.

"Mother, go rest now. You've been with her the whole time and for the whole time she's been asleep, you've been awake, taking care of her."

"She needed me, darling. I wasn't going to just abandon her. Besides the doctor is coming soon, so I need to be there for that too."

"I understand that, but she would have wanted you to take care of yourself, too. Please Mother, for her sake, go and relax. I'll be with her and father will be home soon enough." Victoria sighed and nodded briefly.

"I suppose you're right, (Y/n). If anything happens, I'll be in the tea room." You nodded in confirmation and gave your mother a parting hug before she left down the hall.

Once she turned the corner, you entered your sister's room. She was lying on her bed, her skin looking quite pale.

You cleared your throat, bringing her attention from the window to you.

"Oh, (Y/n), you're here! Come here, my silly girl!" Viola smiled weakly as you walked to her bedside.

"I don't feel very well, but with you here, I'm beginning to feel much better."

"I'm glad, Viola. You've been asleep for so long, it's nice to see you okay." You grinned softly as a look of contentment appeared on Viola's features.

"Thank you, darling. I'm glad to see you too. But after so long, I am a bit hungry." She admitted quietly.

" I could go to the market and get you something! What would you like?" You offered to your sister.

"Oh, (Y/n), you don't have to do that! I don't want to be a burden on you!"

"I want to do it! It would make me happy to do it for you!" You exclaimed. Viola sighed softly and shook her head in agreement.

"I'd like some plums, but only if you're sure you want to go."

"Of course! I'll be back soon." You said, hugging Viola goodbye before heading out of her room.
You informed your mother where you were going and headed out of your large home.

As you began to get closer to the marketplace, you could hear the soft roar of people talking while shopped for what they needed.

You walked through the small crowd, trying to reach the fruit cart. You were able to get a few feet further before you heard a voice calling your name.

"(Y/n)! Over here!" the masculine sounding voice spoke. You turned your head and you caught a glance of who was calling to you. It was a man with raven black hair and jade green eyes.

"Oh, Alistair, there you are! I was wondering where you were this morning." You greeted as the man came over to you.

"I'm terribly sorry to not have been at the house earlier, (Y/n). When Viola woke up, I figured I should go out and get her some flowers to help her feel better. Do you think she'll like them?" He asked nervously as he held up a bouquet of lillies.

"Of course she will, Alistair. You're her fiance, she'll love anything you give her." You assured him with a small pat on the arm. He smiled a little before it fell to make way for a sadder expression.

"I was so worried about her, (Y/n). I thought I had lost the love of my life before we could even start out life together. I can't lose her..." Alistair admitted sadly.

"There's no need to worry anymore. She's awake now and we'll make sure this doesn't happen again. You won't lose her. I promise that." You tell your brother-in-law to be.

"I believe you, (Y/n). Now let's head back to the house, shall we?" He offers with a hand.

"Not quite yet. I have to get something for my sister too."

"Let me guess... She wants plums?" Alistair asked, amused at the thought.

"You know her too well, sir." You joked as you led Alistair the rest of the way to the fruit cart. As soon as you paid for the plums, you and Alistair left for your house. When you reached the front door, it swung open to reveal your father.

"There you two are... I'm terribly sorry for not catching you before you left..."

"It's quite alright, sir. We were just at the market getting somethings for Viola." Alistair explained.

"That's very kind of the both of you, but there's something I need to tell you two... I'll meet the two of you in the piano room once you deliver what you bought." He said, turning up the stairs and down a hallway.

"I'm going to take these to Viola. I'll meet you in the room when I'm done." Alistair relayed to you. You nodded and called for Hildegarde. When she found you, you asked her to get the plums to Viola and you began to head to the piano room. As you opened the door, you saw Alistair sitting in one of the armchairs and your father standing on the other side of the room.

"(Y/n), please sit. I have some... bad news..." Victor said glumly.
A worried look appeared on your face before you sat down next to Alistair, your heart heavily beating in your chest.