~7~

~07~
(Day 428)

*~*~*~*~*~*THE SUNBEAMS COVERED MY face waking me up from my short sleep

*~*~*~*~*~*
THE SUNBEAMS COVERED MY face waking me up from my short sleep. I glanced up to see that Reagan wasn't in her bed.

I slipped passed a still sleeping Helen and out of the small room we sleep in to the landing.

I stared my silent decend down the stairs and when I was halfway I saw regan standing at the basement door conflicted on whether to enter.

I watched as she lifted her foot to take a step down to the forbidden workspace of lee and my father.

Before Reagan could place her foot down she was whipped back by her father his strong arms secquerly around her waist.

Lee took her outside and they began to talk.

I didn't want to intrude on their father daughter talk so I walked to the barn

Evelyn decided that nothing would come in between us children and our learning so she started to home school us.

I took a seat beside Marcus we were relatively close in age so she decided to teach us together, Helen and Samuel she taught after us.

Today were were learning a form of division, I was always good at maths so the equation came easily to me but Marcus who seemed to struggle with maths stared at his sum a blank look on his face.

Evelyn pointed to a part on his sum. He glanced up at his mom.

'Carry the three"she signed.
Marcus noting his mistake nodded and finished his sum a look of pure joy on his face.

But the smile faltered as Lee's figure was spotted on the stairs to the right of me.

'Time to go' he signed to Marcus indicating that the time to hunt for food was now.

Marcus turned to his mother fear completely covering his features.

'Please don't make me go'he signed

'You'll be fine you dad will always protect you' she said taking her sons hand in her own.

'Please'

She shook her head

'Listen to me' she started wiping a tear from his eyes
'It's important that you learn these things, he just wants you to be able to take care of your self and Indira'

She pauses he seemed to of took her explanation to a horror thought of being split away from his family, Evelyn sensing his fear tried to lighted the conversation.

'And me when I'm old and grey"

Marcus and I quietly laugh some of the fear eradicated.

She then continues to make us laugh by pretending to have no teeth.

Marcus laughed quietly and we both looked at each other. I placed my hand on his shoulder and continued to laugh.

His cheeks dusted with pink and laughed with me.

I followed the two Abbott's outside where lee was waiting with two rucksacks full of supply's and tools.

Lee knelt in front of his son tightening the bag straps to fit on his small frame.

'I don't want to go'he sighed as his fathers eyes met his.
Lee's head turns and he looks at his wife then his eyes flick to me a pleasing look on his face.

I knew what he was asking and I nodded.

He turned back to Marcus

'Would you be okay with Indira coming to'he asked Marcus looked at me and I nodded at him.

He was about to answer but regan intervened
'I'll go'she said

Lee shook his head
'No you stay hear and help your mother and me Owens with the other two kids okay'

'But I want to go' she signs 'why don't I go and Indira helps with the kids'

Lee huffs 'if your mom goes into labor who would she be most comfortable around you or Indira'

Reagan looked down at the floor she knew she had to stay.

'Fine'she signed and stormed off down the sand path.

'We should be back in time for dinner, mr Owens is I the basement fixing an amp so be carful'

Evelyn nodded, lee leaned in and the couple shared a quick kiss.

I walked over to Marcus his face showed the the fear from earlier had returned.

'Marcus listen, where going to be fine you dad knows what he's doing and I'll be there the whole time'

He took a deep breath and nodded.

I slipped my hand into his to help calm him he was shocked at first but relaxed and gave my hand a small squeeze indicating that he was ready to go and we followed lee down the path hoping that this little excursion wouldn't be my death.