~12~

~12~
(Day 473)

*~*~*~*~*~*REAGAN AND I SPRINTED TO the edge keeping both eyes firmly planted on Marcus hoping with all are might that the boys frame didn't disappear below the corn

*~*~*~*~*~*
REAGAN AND I SPRINTED TO
the edge keeping both eyes firmly planted on Marcus hoping with all are might that the boys frame didn't disappear below the corn.

The two Merle door swing back and forth groaning as they did so making me wince.

Marcus clawed at the corn trying to keep himself above them his flash light was discarded beside him forgotten in his frenzy for survival.

The door closest to regan then completely ripped off dropping down into the corn scaring Marcus into sinking deeper.

I glanced at regan her main emotion was fear, fear that her brother would drown but also the fear of what the band of the door falling would draw attention to us.

I did the only I could, I quickly jumped into the corn said item cushioning my fall and pushed the steel door towards Marcus.

A thud beside me indicated that regan herself had also entered the pit of corn.

She helped me push the heavy door after it reached Marcus I gripped it tight and pushed my self up onto it using every ounce of strength I had in my exhausted body to do so.

When I glanced Back regan wasn't there her hand was all that was left.

I quickly reached into the corn searching for regan as she drowned in the corn.

When Marcus reached me he started doing the same his panic adamant on his face.

I gasped in relief when my hand grasped on to regan I pulled and slowly regan emerged.

She hugged Marcus when she was safe and out from the corn her terror receding.

When the hug dispersed Marcus placed a finger on his lips like his father.

Marcus flashed the flashlight around clearly looking for something and he gasped when the beam of light landed on the death angle silently hiding in the corner -well side - of the silo.

Regan when she noticed the large killing machine tackled Marcus off the door and he with his grip on my arm brought me down to.

We quickly pushed ourselves under the door hoping it would give us a little protection.

My eyes squeezed shut as a claw rips through the metal of the door creating a hole big enough see through.

Then suddenly the monster jumps back shaking as if it was having some sort of fit then it just left like it couldn't stand being there.

I looked at Marcus and he was just as confused as I was but also relieved and I hoped that whatever drove it away stayed around.

We scrambled to wards the massive hole the creature left using it as an exit.

Thank fully are feet when they hit the floor made no sound giving us time to adjust before we sprinted down the path towards the farm house.

My only hope was that we see somebody before we died.

I quickened my pace when a man appeared in the distance it was lee and he was searching for us to.

When we reached each other lee grasped his son and daughter in a massive hug.

He then opened his arm gesturing to me to join which I did.

The hug seemed to calm everyone down a little.

I looked at lee.

'My family' I asked

'Your father's okay and so is Samuel but Helen she screamed and it got her' lee signed sorrow overtaking his face.

My vision blurred tears leaking out of them as the truth settled on my shoulders my sister dead.

I didn't bother to hide my sadness I had failed my mother I promised to protect the family but I couldn't.

Marcus' hand found mine squeezing it in reassurance the gesture was nice but nothing would diminish the grief building in my chest.

'Its not your fault no one could get to her don't blame yourself' lee said placing both hands on my shoulders.

I nodded I would let guilt overcome me when this night was over I wouldn't put the Abbott family at risk because of my guilt so I sucked it up and nodded.

'Lets get the others and get put of here' lee said.

BANG!!!!

Lee froze his fingers found their way I his lips in the same gesture he always made when a sound was made.

'Get to the truck'he signed to is but it was mostly directed to Marcus who spent most of his time in that truck pretending to drive it.

We nodded and took of in a sprint towards the old vehicle hoping to be safe there.

*~*~*~*~*~*

A/N

Hey guys sorry it's been a while but life been busy lately covid restrictions are easing and in the past week I've seen so many relatives.

Thank you guys so much for 7k it is incredible that this book has gotten that many reads so thank you.

L.J.F