chapter 1

You were woken up from your deep sleep to a weight dramatically coming onto your chest. You groaned loudly, hoping to have had a few extra minutes of shut eye before heading out for the day. But when you felt the slobbery kisses placed onto your cheeks and the cold, wet nose brushing against your face, you knew your plans had been changed.

"Artemis! Come on, girl," you laughed, trying to push the energetic French bulldog out of your face. "Stop it!" You struggled to keep the black and white pooch back. Small frustrated grunts left Artemis as she continued to try to make her way past your hands that were pushing up against her chest.

You turned your head to your nightstand to look at the time. 7am. "Arty, you couldn't have even waited until at least 9 to wake me up?" A small yap from Artemis begged to differ. You sat up in your bed, rubbing the sleep away from your eyes. "Okay, okay," you said defeated. "We'll head out early today." Artemis excitedly wagged her little nub of a tail and barked again before jumping off your bed, disappearing into your apartment.

You threw the comforter off of you and placed your feet down on the cold, wooden floor that lined your bedroom. You stretched out your arms before getting up and heading into the bathroom to get ready for the day.

While you were brushing your teeth, you heard the door of your apartment open and shut. Keys clattered onto the table and you heard a heavy sigh. Footsteps grew louder as they got closer to your bedroom. A small knock landed on your door as your roommate's voice called out for you.

"Hey, Y/N? What are you doing up so early on a Saturday?," Esmé asked with a light chuckle. You wiped off your mouth and splashed some cold water in your face.

"Well," you started as you made your way back into your bedroom, "I wasn't exactly planning on it but I guess Artemis wanted to head to the park before it gets too busy."

Esmé leaned against the door frame with her arms crossed over her light blue scrubs. She had just gotten back from a late night over at the ER and from the looks of her, she was going to be spending the remainder of the day in bed resting.

You met Esmé during your freshman year at college. You both were in the same freshman seminar class with the teacher that everyone hated. Of course, you bonded with her quickly. How could you not? She was the sweetest person you had ever met and she always managed to put a smile on your face on your worst days.

After you both graduated, with your degree in business and Esmé's degree in nursing, you decided to share an apartment. For one thing, it was a hell of a lot cheaper than trying to find your own place. And on the other hand, you weren't ready to go your separate ways from Esmé just yet.

"That sounds like little old Arty to me," she laughed. The quick pitter patter of paws down the hallway interrupted your conversation as Artemis came back into your bedroom with her mouth holding onto her leash. Esmé rolled her eyes at the sight. "We never should have taught her that. Now the little queen is so demanding when she wants to go out on her walks."

You headed over to your dresser, pulling out your favorite pair of athletic joggers and the matching tank top to go with it. "Any plans for today?" you asked as you heard Esmé head into the kitchen.

"Crashing on the couch. Maybe going over to see Danny. Not sure yet," she responded with her voice slightly raised.

You quickly got changed and grabbed your running shoes to go with the rest of your outfit. You put your hair up into a quick ponytail and grabbed the baseball cap that rested on top of your dresser. "How are things going with Daniel?" you asked as you made your way to where your roommate was. You patted the side of your leg as you walked as an effort to get Artemis to snap out of her little daze and follow behind.