chapter 15

"Jack, buddy, are you almost ready to go?" Aaron called out as he came down the stairs. You heard his footsteps come down the hall to the kitchen where you were patiently waiting for the Hotchner boys to be ready to go to the New Year's Eve party that one of the kids on Jack's soccer team was holding.

As you sat at the kitchen table putting the finishing touches on your makeup, you peered up to see Aaron dressed to the nines in his navy suit. Your breath caught in your throat at the sight. You knew he could clean up nice but he always managed to look impeccable.

You watched as his fingers fumbled to tie his black bowtie around his neck. "Stupid thing," he muttered under his breath.

You laughed at his struggle, putting down your lipstick and walking over to where he stood in the kitchen. You straightened out the lapels on his suit before pushing his hands out of the way and tying the bowtie for him. "Let me," you murmured.

Aaron's lips turned up into the faintest of smiles as he watched your hands adjust his bowtie. After you finished, you straightened out his glasses on his nose, smiling softly at him. "Much better."

"Thank you." He placed a quick kiss to your forehead before running his eyes up and down your body. "You look fantastic." He ran his hands along your sides before letting them rest on your hips.

You felt yourself blush at his words, feeling more comfortable in the dress that you had picked out. The dress hugged your curves, silver sequins lining the entirety of it. The v-neck cut low on your chest all the while the dress was a few inches below your knees, with a slit running along the one side of it. The heels that you wore were a nude color with thin straps around  your ankles.

"Thank you," you repeated. Aaron's thumbs ran little circles on your hips as he leaned in to give you a kiss.

But just as his lips brushed against yours, the sounds of heavy stomping down the stairs pulled you out of the moment and the two of you separated just as quickly as you had found yourselves together in the kitchen.

Jack padded into the kitchen with his head down as you noticed him watching the floor to avoid stepping on any of the cracks in the tile of the kitchen floor. You chuckled lightly to yourself as you felt your heart swell at seeing the little Hotchner dressed up in his own suit, mirroring his father's.

"Wow, bud! Look at you!" you exclaimed, grabbing his attention. Jack's face lit up as he wrapped his little arms around your legs.

"I want to go to the party, but do we have to dress like this?" Jack whined as he looked up at you. "My neck is itchy and I don't want to wear this," he said as he pointed to his tie.

"Jack, you know how these parties go. Mason's family..." Aaron started as he ran a hand behind his neck. "They go over the top with their New Year's party."

"Besides, Jack," you started, bending down and straightening out his tie, "your tie is only a clip-on. Dad's is actually tied around his neck so he's stuck with that itchy thing all night long."

Jack glanced over at his dad and Aaron played along with the ploy by scratching around where the bow tie was resting. "Exactly. Y/N tied this thing so tight, I don't know if I'll be able to get it off," Aaron teased.

You scoffed playfully at him as you stood back up, running your hands down your dress to fix any wrinkles. "You were the one that couldn't tie it correctly."

"Technicalities," Aaron taunted. He winked subtly at you, a small smirk growing on his face.

"Fine," Jack groaned. "I'll wear the tie. But if anyone else takes theirs off, I'm taking mine off."