chapter 10

One hour.

Sixty minutes.

3600 seconds.

That was the amount of time that you had left to get ready for your date with Aaron.

And as the time was drawing nearer and nearer, you were feeling anxious and excited to see where the night was going to go. Aaron refused to tell you where he planned on taking you, leaving your mind to wonder about what sort of tricks he had hidden up his sleeves.

As you sorted through your clothes for what felt like the millionth time, you settled on wearing a deep red chiffon dress that had an asymmetrical hemline ending just below your knees. It accentuated your body's curves, but still left some aspects to people's imaginations.

You put on some light makeup and put your hair up. After going over some finishing touches, you headed into the living room to wait for Aaron to come pick you up.

You were greeted by Esmé practically cat calling you as she saw the way you were dressed. "Well damn, Y/N. You sure know how to get cleaned up," she teased. She sat up on the couch with her mouth open a bit in shock at your outfit.

"Not too much?" you asked, concerned that maybe you had gone a little overboard with your outfit.

"Absolutely not." She shook her head in disbelief with the outfit you chose since it was something that she rarely saw you in.

Rustling from the kitchen grabbed your attention as you straightened out your dress. "Danny," Esmé called out. "Check out Y/N getting all dolled up for her big date tonight."

You glanced in the kitchen to see Danny's head pop up from underneath the island in the kitchen, his dirty blonde locks showing up before the rest of his face.

"And who are we going out to see tonight?" he asked as he walked into the living room to sit on the couch next to Esmé. He wrapped his arm around Esmé's shoulder and pulled her against his body.

Danny was one of the better boyfriends that Esmé had brought home over the years of you knowing her. The two of them met about two years ago at one of the parties on campus. And within a few short months, they started to date. Frankly, you wished Danny all the luck in the world to be able to put up with the craziness of Esmé. But here he stood, almost a year and a half later, still head over heels for Esmé. He really made her happy and you were glad that they found each other. You always wished Esmé the world and with Danny, you felt that she was halfway there.

"His name is Aaron," you told him as you reapplied your lip gloss in the mirror of the living room.

"Aaron, huh? Aaron as in the dude you babysit for Aaron?" he asked, clearly aware of who it was that you were actually going out with.

"Esmé, is there anything that I tell you that he doesn't know?" you said annoyed as you whipped around to face her. "No offense of course."

Danny sent you his signature smile and waved his hand in the air as if he was telling you that it was alright. "None taken."

"I don't tell him everything. Don't worry about that," Esmé assured as she patted Danny on the cheek.

"God, I hope not," you muttered under your breath. "But yes. That would be the Aaron that I am going out with tonight."

"I've seen the way he looks at her and let me tell you that man is whipped," Esmé explained to Danny. Danny let out a small oh as he ran his fingertips along Esmé's arm.

"I wouldn't go that far," you retorted.

"Tell me something, babe. You're a teacher right?" Esmé asked Danny. He nodded his head in agreement. "Okay, so say you invited me to your class. And the lecture that you just so happened to be teaching about somehow applied to the situation that we found ourselves in. You, being the intelligent man you are, craft your lesson to have a subliminal message about the way you feel about me. What, dotell, does that say about you?" Esmé asked as she poked Danny lightly in the chest before poking his nose.