Chapter 7

Percy, who'd they came to know was the boy, was a strange individual in one too many ways. But they weren't ones to judge. They were plenty strange themselves. 

He had bright sea-green eyes which looked like they'd seen too much and pitch black hair which seemed to point in every direction. He had a lithe body with taunt muscles which showed Luke how he could walk soundlessly on a forest bed littered with dry leaves and twigs. His clothes were shabby and a bit big on him, but they were clean and neat.  

At first glance, all he seemed like was a cute kid on a hiking adventure, but looking closely, the outlines of several  knives tucked in his waistband could be seen when he moved and when the wind pressed his shirt to his body. The dagger he'd taken out when they'd met was now strapped to his thigh and the funny little bird was tugging on his hair as they walked. 

His appearance was one of a budding child, but his actions and speech were much too mature and sophisticated for one. It was easy to forget that he was just 8 years old when he looked at them in eye, but when he smiled at the dryads excitedly and spoke to his bird animatedly, Luke could glimpse the shadow a blooming boy filled with love. 

"This should be far enough." He stopped and dug in his backpack, looking for something. He made a soft 'aha' when he found it, making Luke chuckle to himself. Though they'd just met, he was just to adorable, making him steadily grow fond of the little boy. All he was used to were the cold, hard gaze of Thalia's and the grey of Annabeth's eyes as she seemed to ponder how she could kill him better. Not to mention the very colorful language they both used.

Compared to them both, Percy's alluring innocence was refreshing, even though he knew full well that he just may be much more powerful than him.

"Use this." He gave him a a jar with a bright yellow paste, pointing towards Thalia's injury. Being suddenly singled out, Thalia bristled, her heavy gaze flicking between the jar and him.
"What's this?" She snapped, still untrusting. 

"Medicine. Its turmeric." Percy replied calmly, taking the jar back from Luke's hands and swiftly taking some and applying it on a scratch Keria had giving him. "It's harmless." He said, reading her thoughts precisely. 

"Thank you." Annabeth spoke up, who'd decided to remain quiet till then. Surprised, Thalia relaxed, trusting her judgment. He nodded in response and handed it back to Luke, mumbling a quiet 'welcome' under his breath.

"I have more if you need it. Apply a even layer and let me know if you need bandages for the bigger injuries. I'll treat them again later, but till we reach the place you all will be sleeping at, this'll quell the bleeding and will offer some pain relief." It was the most he'd said till then, and after receiving Luke's nod, he went away, leaving them to attend to themselves.

It wasn't long before he returned, jumping down from a tree. He swept over the three of them, his eyes lingering on the many scratches and burns they'd acquired, settling on Thalia's side which was the most worrisome. He wondered if he should treat her there itself and risk being discovered by the tourists, but once he looked at her, he knew that she would be able to handle the journey. She was strong with a stronger will.

 Once he was satisficed, he started moving again, silently urging them to do the same. He purposely kept a slow pace and moved through the trees, making sure to give them all the space and time they needed. He stayed far enough not to hear their words, but close enough to stay within eyesight. 

He led them towards a cave near the grasslands, the perfect place for them. He would be able to keep an eye on them there, even at night, and it was secure enough to prevent any attacks from any hungry beast. The sun was setting when they finally reached there, the bountiful breaks  forcing him to sacrifice a lot more time than he'd expected. 

All three of them looked ready to collapse. Annabeth was already out on Luke's back and Thalia was wincing with each step, her wounds most probably bothering her more than she let on. He waved her over to treat her while Luke set Annabeth down in a corner, burrowing his jacket under her head as a make-shift pillow. Percy guessed that she'd be so mentally exhausted by keeping her guard up, that she wore herself down completely. Even little Keria was tired and sleeping inside his pocket.

As soon as he was done wrapping up Thalia's injuries, Luke pushed her over when Annabeth was, and told her to sleep. With no energy to argue, she obliged, removing her own jacket as a pillow, and passing out minutes after laying down. 

"You can rest as well." Percy said, confused as to why Luke was sitting next to him, blinking back his sleep. He was obviously tired. He had carried Annabeth and had also carried Thalia's backpack along with his own. Though he was the eldest, he still was a growing child. 

"No, no" He shook his head. "I'll keep watch, you can sleep." He nudged Percy towards the girls, his eyes bloodshot. He was used to taking responsibility. Both the girls leaned on him as a leader and brother, so it was his job to protect them, no matter the cost. How could he ask a 8 year-old boy to keep watch while he slept?

Percy cocked his head to a side, not expecting that. His experience with people was nominal, and humans close to age was even less. But Luke was a good person. Considerate, even. 

His cheeks warmed at the thought but it was stupid of him to be considerate of a person who didn't require it. 

"Don't worry about it and sleep." He said, smiling slightly. It was a dark night but the moonlight crept inside the cave, lighting up his face softly. For a second, Luke wondered if he was an angel.  Such soothing words from a warm, sweet face. He was beautiful now, with his unique eyes and pretty smile, but he was going to be quite the eye catcher when he would grow up.

Luke didn't resist anymore. Something make him want to trust him. He let his aura of reliably lull him into a dreamless sleep, a blessing greater than needed.