Chapter 20

Percy thought it best to leave immediately, not risking the possibly of leaving his scent behind for the hunters to pick up. According to his knowledge, they were extremely skilled and if they knew that there was a boy near their camp, they would surely become upset. And upset hunters are not something he would like to encounter if he wanted to see tomorrow. 

He walked through the trees, not having enough energy to run or climb the branches. Thankfully, the nature sprits seemed to know that and kept their distance, trying not to overwhelm or exhaust him more than what he was. There were a few words or worry and offers of food and Percy accepted them gratefully, unable to refuse their sincerity. 

The wildlife on the other hand, was wild. Having no concept of human emotions, all they knew was that their master was hurt and had been through something big. So they tried to do they things which they knew helped their kind. 

He was nuzzled, licked, pinned down, bitten and tackled by a number of various animals. Though they were trying to help him, being covered in saliva with fur all over him was not very comforting. The thought was though and he appreciated it. 

After a lot of pets and scratches and mental-emotion-sharing and rebukes from Keria did they finally leave him alone, understanding that all was okay now. But there was a second part to the wilderness. 

Yes, in their own way, even the plants were trying to console him. Vines from nowhere would wrap around his limbs in an gentle embrace and trees would lowers their branches so that he would pick their fruits. Fallen flowers stuck themselves in his hair and the brushes would tickle him softly as he passed by. 

It was the sweetest and most aggressive sympathy he'd ever received and he was surprised by how much the inanimate nature cared. After he'd called on his powers as the child of nature, it was as if the link connecting them had been strengthened. If it was a thread when he was blessed, it felt more like a chord now, and the deepness of his bond made him feel undeniably secure and safe. 

He tried to untangle himself, but to no avail. He could've just used his powers and escaped, but he was reluctant. Whenever he used his powers to manipulate nature, it felt as if he was forcing them to do something. He had been reassured by the dryads that they wanted to serve him, but it was too much for him. 

So he thought of another solution. With a quick motion of his fingers, he coaxed the vine from his legs and ran, jumping directly into the river. The gentle water submerged him, while the naiads and fish called out to him. Though the water was cool and pleasant, being in it always made him feel warm. 

Though he disliked his father, he absolutely loved his powers. It was the only consistent thing he'd had, and one of the only parts of his past he didn't despite. The water had protected him, healed him, comforted him in his hardest times. 

The atmosphere in the river was always different. Though he was the one blessed by nature and Pan, his authority was definite. He could persuade, he could convince, but he couldn't will nature to act if it didn't want to. On the other hand, the water domains considered him as their absolute lord. He was their prince and his authority fell short only to few. 

All the aquatic life were extremely respectful and nervous around him, and he often found it uncomfortable, but at times when he needed time to himself, it was only place where he could go without any worries. No monster approached him there and no animal wanted any attention. 

But he wasn't going to just relax in the depth of the rivers and ponds. He started to swim, half using the natural current and half propelling himself with his powers. It was a swift journey, and he was at the other end within minutes. Since the river pooled at a certain point, he had to walk for a bit to reach one of his frequented parts where he often rested. 

It was a lovely place, secluded even in the depths of the reserve. The light was filtered green as it passed through a canopy of tangled leaves, falling on loose soil so comfy, it made him drowsy every time he laid on it. After moving a few rocks and making some vines and roots hang like a curtain, it was the perfect personal spot. 

He sighed in relief, too tired to even change his tattered clothes, thankfully that the river had at least washed away the grime. He wanted to sleep immediately, but Keria brought him some fruits, insisting on him eating since he'd had anything the whole day. After nibbling a few bites, he plopped down, using his powers to make the soil and leaves softer. And just like that, tucking an arm under his head, he was fast asleep.