Chapter 34

Now that Percy had a clear goal in mind, everything seemed a bit more simpler. The fog in his mind had blown away, leaving him and his chaotic mind some space to think and plan. 

The first thing he did was talk to Artemis. On returning from wherever Apollo had taken him, he immediately decided that explaining himself to Artemis and the hunters was a priority. But he also knew deep down that he wasn't ready to tell them everything. 

So as a result, he borrowed Apollo's name and made it so that he had been given a quest by the almighty god himself. As expected, it was received well since it was pretty common for gods to send demigods on quests, though she didn't like the fact that Percy now had to go and do stuff for her brother. 

The hunters on the other hand were impassive, neither sad nor happy. They were used to situations like these since Artemis often sent them away for certain jobs and knew that being associated with gods automatically meant that they have to pay the price for using their powers. But it they were still sympathetic, especially knowing that Percy was only 11 years old. 

Percy felt bad for lying, but knew that there was no way that he could tell her that he was going to California hoping to train under Lupa, the Roman wolf goddess. So Apollo stepped in and made up a quick story. 

Apparently, the dryads there have been suffering from an illness of some sort, so he wanted Percy to go and see if he can do anything for them. Being a surprisingly good liar, he convinced her on the basis that he was affiliated with nature as well as having knowledge on medicine so he was the perfect candidate for the job. 

Artemis, too being the goddess of hunting couldn't refute his words because she too cared about the forests there. In the end she relented, knowing that this was also a good opportunity for Percy to travel and learn and experience something different. 

Questions about how long the quest would be and how he would go about it were ignored since Apollo had made up the quest with regards to them. It was a vague request and therefore, the perfect cover for him. 

"You have to be careful, Percy." It was one of the rare times Artemis showed emotions. Her eyes were swimming in worry and her mouth was turned down at the corners. She had called him and Zoe to her tent, and only after being surrounded by the privacy of her personal space did she voice out her concerns. 

She sat him down in a cushion and chose to crouch in front of him rather than sitting on her elaborate throne decorated with furs and feathers. She caressed his cheek with her thumb, making him melt in her touch. "Promise me you'll be careful." She pressed, her eyes at the same level as his. 

"I will." Percy promised automatically, nodding lightly in her hand. 

Instead of looking like she was reassured, she looked even more troubled. She got up and paced the length of her tent in silent steps, somehow making her restlessness look refined. 

Zoe's eyes followed her, a seemingly grim expression adorned on her face. She had looked like a fierce lieutenant in front of her sisters, but like Artemis, she could shed her facade now. She looked like she had lots to say, but Percy knew that she wouldn't say anything. She trusted him enough to respect him. 

"Do you want to become a hunter?" 

Artemis blurted out, her silver eyes hot with a fire of determination. "Yes, that's it!" She nodded to herself, pacing the room again, suddenly excited. It was the most animated he'd ever seen her. "You wouldn't be obliged to go on Apollo's quest anymore. I'll be able to protect you."

She looked at him with a light of hope while Zoe's face darkened. "Milady..." She drifted off, as if unable to continue. "He can't." Her voice was somehow painful to hear. 

Percy was calm. He knew he should've been surprised, but he wasn't. Absurd as it was, he'd seen it coming. 

No matter how it looked, Artemis was kind. Her eyes may look to be set in permanent glares while her mouth only gave grudging compliments, but her heart was compassionate, especially for the people she held dear. 

He'd watched her as she grew to become fond of him, looking at him with a affectionate gaze, far but always there. There had been cases where men were accepted in the hunt, but each one of them met with a painful end. And every time, Artemis mourned. 

He didn't want that. 

"No, my lady. I can't." He spoke sadly, each word of his making her face drop even more. He knew he was repeating Zoe's words, but there was nothing else he could say. He was honored beyond the stars and happy that she thought so deeply of him, but he couldn't speak it out. 

Reality seemed to hit her. She slowly went to her throne and sat, burying her face in her hands as both Percy and Zoe watched along. 

"You're right... you're right." She mumbled, knowing just as well as anyone how unnatural her idea was. "You have to be careful, Percy, you got that? Be strong and return alive and well." She looked desperate, almost on the verge of begging him. 

It was his turn to go to her now, he went to where she was, passing Zoe who looked deep in thought. "I've been taught by you guys." He smiled, stopped right before and speaking cheerfully. "I'm strong enough."

His arrogance seemed to finally give her assurance. "That's right." She copied him, smiling ruefully, "You're strong enough." 

He broke the miserable atmosphere between the three, bouncing from his heels to his toes as their smiles tuned from sad to truly relaxed. 

"But, Percy," She got up, reaching for him. She gathered him a surprise hug and whispered in his ear. "Wanna be even more stronger?"