Chapter 40

Percy was adapting well to the Wolf house. Though Lupa did not openly pay him attention, she kept herself aware of the happenings around him, especially since Apollo had his eyes on him. But that was where her care began and ended. She could show no more partiality, even if it was invisible to others.

It was the way of the wolves. If a new pup was introduced, he would have to fend for himself until the pack accepted him. Whether it be by sticking to a stronger wolf or fighting for his position in the pecking order, it all depended on the child. It was only the respect the pack had for Lupa that they allowed the blood of the gods to merge in the pack.

But Percy was completely fine on his own. Except for the time where he glared at one of her pups, he made no movements towards her wolves. She was actually thankful, because after seeing his eyes darken and swirl with anger momentarily, she knew that if he chose to make an enemy out of them because of that incident, she would regret it. Though his stare was not directed at her, she had to use her will not to growl back in an defensive action.

But as if a storm had passed, the following days were peaceful. No special efforts were taken to become a part of the pack and nor did he approach anyone for food or materials.  After he'd bid his Pegasus goodbye, he'd spent they day quietly researching where their territories began and ended and where each wolf stood in the pack.

After that, he'd picked a spot in the trees behind the Wolf House and made it his home, finding and handling his own food and needed. First, he was a curious object to all, but after he made no effort from his side, he was deemed uninteresting and left by himself. As much as they might have wanted to pick at him, they could smell that he was not weak.
His independence was respectable in a place where they depended on a group. 

Not to mention that the pack, including Lupa, got to know that he had a special connection with the nature spirits. They'd become unusually active around him but not hostile. Instead, they received him well, exceeding their friendliness more than they'd offered her. And Percy who had only showed an aloof side till then had been seen smiling warmly, conversing freely like he did with his bird, Keria.

Even they fauns were attracted to him, to his scent. Like Lupa, they could sense the blood of the gods and could differentiate on how strong they were based on their strength and tended to avoid the stronger ones, but they weren't hesitant with Percy. There were only a few, but after a few conversations, even they left him alone after an earnest request from him.

But the fact that Percy made no effort to be a part of the 'community' did not meant that the pack made no effort. Two children- one human and one pup had unknowingly become fond of him and after acting unmindful for a while, even Percy had accepted them. 

The wolf-child, surprisingly, was the one Percy had berated with his eyes when he'd growled at Blackjack. After the episode, the brown wolf had accepted Percy as a being stronger than him began to respect him and thus it led him closer to where Percy sat. 

After being at the receiving end of his committed gaze for a few days, Percy started calling him 'Rey' when he could not pronounce the name he was given by the wolves. It meant 'King' in Spanish, a word he'd gotten to know when a hunter teased him with it when she'd seen how the sea creatures treated him.

Rey was pleased at his end, puffing up proudly, even though he knew Percy didn't name him so because of how majestic he was. But after being called that, he was determined to become such a wolf which fit him name. Unknowingly, Percy had influenced the wolf to grow even stronger, becoming a being which was seen with a halo 'round his head by him.

Meanwhile, there was also a little boy with a scar on his lip who's eyes gained the habit of following Percy. While Percy was all darkness- with black hair, deep green eyes, blending in the shadows and surrounded by Keria, this young boy was all bright. Blond hair with light eyes the color of the sky, fair skin and a scent like the wind. 

His name was Jason Grace, a child very similar yet very different to Percy. Son of Jupiter and one of the strongest demigod's Lupa seen, he was left among them before he even knew what was happening. 

He'd taken to Percy quickly, yearning for the sibling bond which was broken when he was abandoned here. Though Percy didn't seem interested at first, Jason looked up to him as both, a companion and a brother and slowly, even Percy began to look after him, unable to refuse his efforts. Unlike him, Jason still had an innocence surrounding him and Percy wanted to protect it.

The mother in her smiled when she saw them, but the leader and god in her frowned. Difficult times were up ahead if such powerful children were born in the world at the same time. She didn't know anything but the events around her were so strange that she had no choice but to become weary.

Such a situation was so rare that she didn't remember the last time it'd happened. Firstly, the appearance of Percy, the son of Neptune, a god who was powerful but absent, rejected and feared by the legion. And secondly, Apollo was watching over another's child, involving himself enough to seem suspicious. And lastly, he was much more powerful and influential than what she'd envisioned.

Already, he'd taken two of her most promising children under his wing while he himself should've been under someone's feathers. But she had to admit that her earlier hostility had faded. She had started to see why Apollo had taken a personal  interest in him. 

Though she was past the age to feel the frenzy of adrenaline, her true nature- the beast in her eyes revealed itself for a few moments, shining with unrestrained excitement.