Chapter 36

Percy was out in the open air, training with Keria. They were checking out the new bracelet Artemis had given him, excited. 

Because Keria had been with Percy since her birth, their bond was deep. Even without Pan's blessing, Percy could understand Keria and even she didn't need the knowledge of the human language she'd learnt to communicate. 

They were practicing all sorts of moves, getting used to the new tool. All Percy needed before was something sturdy which would prevent Keria's nails from piercing him, but now he needed something which would keep her stable during movement and allow him to fight. That's why he was grateful for her gift.

After the Hunters of Artemis had taken up Percy's education, Naomi had suggested working together with Keria and practicing combat with her mind. Keria was noticeably smarter than her peers and it would give Percy an aerial advantage, especially now since he was short.

Corey had jumped up on it and from then, Percy and Keria started to learn from her. Artemis had several hunting birds and Corey was in charge of them. She had trained them to respond to whistles of strange frequencies, something only she could do as a daughter of Apollo. 

Additionally, another hunter, a legacy of Hephaestus, had forged Keria a set of nail coverings, just as sharp as her own. Shiny celestial bronze would cover her talons as she trained with Percy, gauging out eyes of monsters while he struck them down with Riptide, his now favorite sword. Her vicious nature had found a new passion. 

Artemis watched them with the edges of her lips twitching. Even Zoe who was with her had stopped her report to bask in the sight of pure goodness. It was one of the times where they remembered that he had just dawned. 

In the middle of the field, he ran, the knee-high golden grass caressing him as if responding to his soft giggles. Bright eyes and ruffled, untidy hair accompanied his loose clothes clinging to him as he ran without caring that he was making a thud every time he took a step. Overhead, Keria flew, her shiny black feathers reflecting the warm sunlight as she dipped and curved, matching Percy's speed. 

And in the middle of this serene peace, Percy would suddenly whistle a sharp note and down would she come, diving towards his hand with a ferocious gaze which seemed to promise pain. He would run faster and try to match and coordinate his pace to catch her with the least resistance. This practice repeated itself several times, startling the onlookers with the drastic change between the innocence and perfected brutality.

Just as they were reminded of his youth, they could not forget that he was forced to grow faster. He had the lovely face and clear sea-green eyes of a 11yr old boy, but in his mind, thoughts which might scare adults wandered. 

But even in the midst of it all, he was having fun. Learning how to wield a spear and flick a whip was exciting and so was hearing Phoebe's stories as she taught him how to weave net after net. Playing with the wolves and helping deers give birth. Feeling the satisfaction after completing Delilah's requests. Spending time with the spirits and untangling roots. 

It was all these experiences which helped him grow. He didn't even want to think about which darkness he would've spiraled into if it weren't for the nature and life surrounding him. But he now had to leave it all behind. 

He had decided to leave in the next week after being advised by Apollo. He was told that curious eyes had already been directed his way, but Apollo and Artemis were going above and beyond to create chaos in Olympus to distract them from him. He was grateful even though the two didn't really need a reason to start a fight. 

Now all on his agenda for the next few days was to not think about anything and simply enjoy. Why? Because he knew that once he left, there was nothing synonymous to peace which would greet him.