Chapter 51

"I'll stay for a while." Percy said. He was sipping nectar, smiling faintly at the bittersweet taste it brought him. 

It was finally time for him to return back to the reserve. Though he couldn't call it his home, it was the closest to it. The purpose of his journey to California was waning now that he'd mastered the Roman techniques. And he was sure enough time had passed for the Gods to forget the turmoil's he'd caused.

But he knew it was short-lived. The world was already shaking. The nature was on edge and there was a subtle shift in the balance of the world. He didn't know what it was, but he knew that in the midst of it all, it was going be completely impossible for him to hide himself. 

The days of shelter were slowly coming to an end. 

But not right now. There was time for the future happenings and he wasn't going to spent his time worrying over possibilities. He wanted to focus on the present. 

"I'll leave when Reyna settles in." Percy said as an afterthought. 

Lupa nodded. "That'll be good. She's rather attached to you, considering how distrustful she is." She sighed. "It's a fine quality for a child to have, but I've been feeding her."

Percy had forgotten that Lupa was a wolf after fighting and talking to her with her human form. For wolves, accepting someone in the pack was more than enough for lifelong loyalty and devotion. For her, seeing Reyna hostile after receiving her protection must've made her feel iffy as the Alpha. 

Though a good portion of demigods were hostile and scared, they were young and trusted easily. But there were always exceptions. 

"Bear with it. I was similar." Percy replied while using water to heal his remaining injuries. Nectar was convenient but he'd rather heal slowly than be reminded of the pain the taste of 'comfort' brought. 

"She must learn to submit when she cannot dominate. She is weak now. I wouldn't have cared if her fangs were sharp." She reminded him. "Do not compare. You were left alone because you weren't here to survive. She is." Lupa spoke cold, hard facts, reminding Percy that he still had a lot to learn. Millenia of experience doesn't vanish into thin air. 

"I'll talk to her." Percy promised, without really knowing why. Lupa wasn't to kick her out just for this and he was sure Reyna would come around sooner or later, but he still made a promise to coax her. No logic helped him explain it. He simply wanted to do it.

He felt the same protectiveness towards her that he felt towards Jason, and sighed. He really seemed to get attached quick. 

"Hahaha!" Lupa laughed, loud and quick. She seemed to have noticed it too. 

Percy stared long. It was the first time he'd seen Lupa laugh. It was so jarring he forgot to be embarrassed. It was very literally like a wolf's bark. She looked human but didn't allow him to forget her true form. 

"Yes, talk to both her and Jason. Don't forget about the pup you took in as well." Lupa had a smile in her eye as she referred to Rey. It was surprising that she called Rey as someone he was responsible for. It was a matter of pride for alpha's to be responsible for their members. 

Percy secretly smiled at the sign of trust Lupa was showing him. 

"Yes... I'll do that." He smiled.

Though his tone was light, he was deadly serious. He truly understood the weight of her implications. He had influenced the people around him and was already leaving. He did not regret forming those relationships, but he did regret the conditions under which they'd been formed. 

If only he'd become friends with Jason as a neighbor or met Reyna in a class. If only he'd met Rey in the reserve. But the weight of his secrets was heavy. Even with better circumstances, he was doomed to live in secrecy. 

He shook off such thoughts. There was no use lamenting. All he could hope for was that they could meet again someday and they would remember him as more than a friend who left them. 

It was a simple wish, but the most he could afford.