07 | The Plan Goes Bad

"Are you one hundred percent sure this is going to work?" Jungkook asked Hoseok over the phone, glancing up at the cloudy sky from where tiny snowflakes were falling languidly on the ground to cover up Earth with a pristine white coat

Wrapped in a wool scarf and a long black overcoat, the angel wounded through the hollow streets of Seoul city, avoiding eye contact or any kind of interactions with other people. Despite the recently fallen snow and the midnight hour, the nearing holidays made that difficult. Talking to mortals had never been his strong suit, neither were the late-night walks, but he was there for a reason. A special one at that.

"Of course," Hoseok's cheery voice rang up on the other end of the line, startling Jungkook. "Hunters are most active at night. And since they've already seen you, it won't take long before someone comes to you."

Rolling his eyes, the angel continued to make his way through Banpo Bridge, occasionally looking over the frozen Han River. "This is the most stupid plan I've ever heard," he complained, a long sigh sent a flurry of static across the line.

"Have some faith in me, Kook," the fox spirit chipped up, a whine to his voice. Jungkook could imagine where he was sitting, or rolling most probably, at this time of the day. He'd likely sprawled himself out on the long end of the couch, a pillow under his stomach and a bag of potato chips for something to munch on.

"Yeah...faith," the angel pronounced the word rather crudely, his hot breathes turning into a blossoming vapor and disappearing in the frosty air.

Thankfully, the exposure to the cold had never been a bother to him due to his mystic nature. Vital processes such as feeding, and sleeping weren't familiar to him either. 'The perks of being a dark angel' he thought to himself with a bitter chuckle escaping past his lips.

Truth be told, Jungkook wasn't at all that fond of his own powers and abilities. Because of them he had to lose his one and only source of happiness. Some of you might classify him dramatic, but the angel truly had never experienced something as pure and altruistic as falling in love.

Unlike humans, he couldn't give his heart to the second random stranger who happened to catch his attention. Once he'd opened up to someone, it lasted forever. Unfortunately, mortals didn't have this 'forever' included in their list of qualities.

"You still there?" Hoseok's abrupt question caught Jungkook unprepared.

"Yes," the angel trailed off, moving forward so he could lean his forearms on the railing of the bridge, eyes roaming ahead into the mingle of blended colors and city lights. Then a sound to his left reached his ears.

Craning around the statue obscuring his view, Jungkook spied another figure draped in black, staring straight at him. Right before he could open his mouth, a bullet was fired, and the angel was quick to dodge the bang.