16 | The foolish act of loving

Standing outside in the misty dark, Jungkook felt immersed in a blanket of stillness

Standing outside in the misty dark, Jungkook felt immersed in a blanket of stillness. The moist drips of rain dribbled gently down his cheeks, and he sighed profoundly at the way his umbrella kept swishing in his hold. It was long past midnight, and he was the only living soul that still hadn't gone home yet.

Instead of reveling in the comfort of his cozy house with the blistering fireplace and placid ambience, Jungkook had chosen to remain outside until he made sure that Taehyung was safe and at home, away from the dangers that doomed this city.

Despite how hurt he felt at Taehyung's words Jungkook couldn't help but be worried about him. The anger that consumed him then had slowly started to languish. It was a matter of time before he made up his decision and got back into the building where he'd left him. After all Taehyung was one of his biggest foibles and Jungkook wouldn't forgive himself if something bad happened to him.

He knew that Taehyung wouldn't manage in a weather like this - especially with how the storm seemed to amplify instead of cease. Not to mention the monsters that dwelled in those parts of the city - hungry for human flesh indigos, malnourished vampires and what not. The last thing Jungkook could do was wait patiently for Taehyung to get back home.

As for the reason why he hadn't interfered by now - it was simply because Jungkook couldn't let Taehyung think that he had any control over him, even though he already ruled his mind, soul and heart altogether.

And while the harsh winter winds continued to whistle in his ears, Jungkook's body remaining insensate to the cold, a sudden sound of a popping twig broke the dreadful silence. It was needless of him to see the face of his intruder to know who it was – Hoseok's acutely cognizant way of sneaking behind people's backs had become a part of his trait.

"You look like Mary Poppins with this umbrella," he commented by way of a preamble, and it had Jungkook chuckling at the scornful comparison.

His usually imperturbable countenance had morphed into a weak but just as significantly warm smile. Jungkook kept looking down at the streets beneath, feeling how the proximity between him and Hoseok gradually increased as he got closer to the edge of the roof.

"Is that supposed to offend me?" Jungkook asked, craning his neck just enough to take a good look at Hoseok's face. His expression was anything but amiable, and Jungkook had no clue of what was hidden beneath all the immensities of his eyes. "Is something wrong?"

Hoseok's jaw clenched and his eyes narrowed to crescents as he contemplated the interminable sight ahead of them. He had this golden luminary about himself that emitted warmth and serenity. "The game you two are playing..." Jungkook was struck by the ostensible somberness of his tone, and it successfully marred Hoseok's luminosity. "It's dangerous, Kook. You can't let him have you wrapped around his finger."

Jungkook's grip around the handle of his umbrella tightened. He'd done a disservice to the magical realm by merging with a hunter, that so far was true. But had his own kin ever shown any compassion to him? Throughout the centuries Jungkook had been feared by both humans and mages. Just few weeks ago he was about to get arrested by a witch for something as innocuous as his existence.

"Everything is under control," he felt how defensive he sounded. "You don't have to worry about me."

Hoseok rolled his eyes irritably. "Please, don't tell me you're okay with him using you like that." He almost spitted the venomous words.

Jungkook's heart sputtered, and he couldn't suppress the slight flinch that followed. He couldn't keep fortifying Taehyung's actions. Initially, he hoped to cajole Taehyung into trusting him but when the hunter showed no signs of falling for his persuasions Jungkook realized that if he wanted things to work out for him, he would have to make some sacrifices.

"I know what I'm doing, Hoseok," he couldn't admit the tremendous dread that gnawed at his heart whenever he let his mind wander to the endless possibilities. The 'what ifs' were constantly reminding him of how quickly Taehyung could turn his back to him. That voluptuous taste of betrayal was all too familiar to him by now.

"No, you don't." Hoseok's incandescent raise of voice caught Jungkook off guard. "You're obviously too blind to realize how wrong this whole thing is."

Jungkook had turned to gaze at him fully. "I told you that I have everything under control– "

"So what?" Hoseok trudged closer, and Jungkook noticed how his cheeks were suffused with red. "You're going to keep chasing him around until he comes for you too? Let's say that he wants to kill me, Jungkook. Are you still going to follow him?"

Silence fell upon them. Their chests were heaving up and down with anger. Jungkook's lips parted, his quick breaths transforming into a hot vapor. He didn't want to do Hoseok the courtesy of admitting his fault, though the responsible side of his mind demanded him to put an end to the vain endeavors.

"You of all people should know that I'm never going to turn my back to you, Kook." Hoseok's ears laid flat on top of his head. "But it pains me to watch you struggle like that."

Jungkook was stunned by the sincerity of Hoseok's words. He was so ashamed of his own ignorance, of putting his one and only friend behind. Inhaling deeply, Jungkook grabbed Hoseok's shoulder and squeezed tightly, shaking him a bit. "I understand and I'm sorry," he said, feeling the grueling regret settle as a clog in his throat. "I'll be more careful next time."

Hoseok chuckled meekly. "For sure you will."

Jungkook pulled him in for a brief hug, one arm going for his shoulders as the other kept the umbrella in place. Once they were back to keeping their distance, Hoseok let his eyes travel to a different direction. There was a car parked in front of the same building on which they were standing, its engine roaring slicing through the quietness of the night.

Jungkook took a careful step forward, making sure he wouldn't be spotted supervising. Outside of the car was waiting a man in full black, the only unique characteristic about him being the ostentatious pink hair. As the time painfully dragged, with them spying from their hideout on the roof, a new figure suddenly appeared in the street.

Jungkook immediately recognized Taehyung – the limp in his gait, the damped curls of his blonde hair, the same coat which he had worn during the whole day. He exchanged a few words with the man waiting for him by the car before both of them got inside.

Hoseok and Jungkook shared a questioning look as they watched the car drive off from the place. When they made sure that no one else was there to spy on them, they finally let their guards down.

"The Hell was that?" Jungkook cursed under his nose, not seeming to notice the horror displayed on Hoseok's face.

"I know this guy," he whispered next to him, and it got Jungkook raising a brow. "The one with the pink hair. He is one of the hunters."

♡literally one of the stupidest chapters I've ever written. I should better add a toxic relationship warning♡