15 | The impossible partnership

Jungkook's back collided with the brick wall, his features contorting into a painful grimace as the air was being robbed of his lungs

Jungkook's back collided with the brick wall, his features contorting into a painful grimace as the air was being robbed of his lungs. Every muscle in his body ached with the need to be at rest, spontaneous groans would leave his mouth and his face would spasm with pain. The odious scent of freshly spilled gore had him gagging whenever he tried to breathe.

The hideous werewolf that was holding him against the wall smelled of spoiled milk and blood – his face was inches away from Jungkook's, droplets of droll scattered from his cleft mouth and fell onto his chin. Even though it was impossible to go any further Jungkook still tried to keep his distance as though afraid propinquity might lead him into vomiting the melon milkshake which now stood as a lodge in his throat.

His assailant had scarlet red eyes, every inch of his body was covered with clotted dark hair except for the face which, in Jungkook's opinion, wasn't at all that appealing either. The snarls that he made were just as obnoxious and insurmountable.

With the periphery of his vision, he could spot Taehyung at the other end of the room – battling two other werewolves simultaneously and all by himself. What had started off as a basic task to kill a bunch of werewolves now turned to be a cold-blooded massacre with the enemy being at prevail.

Again, Jungkook was swamped with an onslaught of boisterous grows, reminding him that if he didn't think of a quick way to escape the werewolf's deleterious grasp, he would find himself sliced to ribbons by the sharp claws that were now tearing the material of his coat.

"Hey, buddy," he was panting frantically due to the adrenaline that rushed through his system. "Is that blood that you've got there?"

The distracting question granted Jungkook with some time to think. For a split second the werewolf looked confused, and right then Jungkook decided to strike. The velocity of his punch caught his assailant unprepared. He released his hold on him the moment Jungkook's fist collided with his thick jaw, the sound of breaking bones gave him an odd sense of satisfaction.

Unfortunately, he couldn't celebrate his small win just now because the werewolf was preparing to attack again. With the little energy left in his body Jungkook materialized a dagger in his hand that was soon enough going to be stabbed through the werewolf's chest.

On a whim Jungkook took a step back right before that monster could crash into him. Without putting in consideration any of his following actions he threw the dagger in the werewolf's direction, successfully wounding him in the heart. He froze on the spot and his pupils bulged, the color draining from his face as he sagged to the ground. Soon there was a small puddle of blood formed underneath him.

For the first time in hours Jungkook allowed himself to breathe. It had been less than a day since he stepped into the shoes of a hunter, and he was already regretting his decision to join Taehyung's little cult. One monster a day was fine by him, but to have ten gigantic and hungry for human flesh wolves ready to ambush him was just not his cup of tea.