17 | Baby steps

Vampires had a taste for architecture, and more specifically ballrooms

Vampires had a taste for architecture, and more specifically ballrooms. Glorious chandeliers that were beautifully ornated with hundreds of tiny crystals which reflected to the luminous light hung from the ceiling. The floors were engraved with pure marble, so shiny and glazed that one could mistake them for a mirror. Meticulous care of the details, pillars as if coming out of the Pantheon itself, reproductions of sculptures and paintings that were so painstakingly crafted that you couldn't even distinguish them from the real ones. DaVinci's artworks adorned the walls, Michelangelo's David stood tall and majestic.

The last time Jungkook had seen such a magnificence was during the late eighteens when humans still had a sense of adulation for the fine arts. In the enormous hallway people (or more precisely vampires) danced ardently to the classical music that was being played. Women with sickly pale skins and scarlet eyes were being swirled around in the arms of stoic and strong men. Occasionally a valet boy would pass by offering the guests a glass of red liquid which vaguely reminded Jungkook of blood (probably the substitute for alcohol, minding those vampires couldn't enjoy normal food and beverages).

And amidst all this gory was Taehyung – dressed in a classical black suit, underneath there was a satin white shirt, and finally a pair of polished leather shoes. His curls of golden hair looked so voluminous and silken, almost unrealistic to the bright light. To put it simply - Taehyung looked absolutely splendid tonight.

For the biggest part of the night Jungkook couldn't take his eyes off him. The moment he saw him, it was as if his heart had stopped beating and the world had ceased its circumvention. He was so stunned to speak that Taehyung had to pinch his arm in order to bring him back to reality. Not to mention how hard it was for Jungkook to keep himself focused when Taehyung was standing right in front of him – looking like an affluent jewel that had a tag 'priceless' added to it.

And the night would've been perfect if it hadn't been for the plentitude of vampires that couldn't stop sending them ravenous glances. Every two months the vampire realm would host a party on which they would enjoy themselves in their immortal bodies while waiting for the clock to strike midnight so they could sink their incisors into someone's neck. Of course, a paucity of the guests were humans who, by some great misfortune, happened to become the meal of a starving vampire. The oblivious humans were so unaware of the fate that awaited them by the end of the night. To them all this seemed to be an innocuous party.

To crown the whole, Jungkook and Taehyung's job was to investigate the whole place while pretending to be clueless guests who had come here with the pretext of knowing someone really important. Jungkook had to perambulate the whole city for the sake of gathering more information about the vampires' whereabouts. It was a wonder how he'd managed to obtain the name of a very wealthy vampire who just so happened to attend the tonight's event. Deceiving their way into the party was easy, getting out of here without being caught was almost impossible to imagine.

"Concentrate on the task," he felt Taehyung's hot breath tickle the shell of his ear, and shivers clambered up his spine at the shared proximity. On cue Jungkook's lids fluttered and his Adam apple bobbed as he swallowed down the raising bubble of excitement. His garments were practically sticking to his body from perspiration. It was a good thing that he had his blazer on otherwise he would look ridiculous with the way his clothes stitched to his frame like a second skin.