46. Trust Goes Both Ways

Crystal's POV

Noah had screamed and then dropped to the ground behind me. He was staring in shock at the cliff ledge that Jackson and Kurt had gone over. There were tears in his eyes and he seemed to be choking on words. His mouth opening and closing like he wanted to say something but couldn't get the words out.

I looked away from him and back to the ledge and then down to the gun in my hand. I tucked it into the back of my jeans and turned back to Noah, walking up to him.

He seemed to stare right through me, didn't look up at me from his place on the ground, and just stared at the cliff's edge.

"Why?" He whispered and his voice broke. "Why would you-"

"Are you seriously going to ask me that?" I questioned.

He finally looked up at me, a hatred burning in his eyes. "I hate you," He spit out at me.

I shrugged. "I'll live," I said as I grabbed hold of his arm and pulled him forcefully to his feet and after me as I continued walking away.

"Let go of me," Noah said as he tried to pull himself free but since he was the equivalent of a human twig, it wasn't that hard to hold on to him.

I continued to pull him after me as I walked down a cobblestone path and then down a long set of wooden stairs built into the side of the cliff, leading down to the water below as well as a very, very small "beach" which was really more of a just a pile of sand big enough for three beach towels.

We stepped down onto the sand, with me still continuing to drag Noah behind me, just as a figure emerged from the water and walked toward us. He stopped when he was in knee-deep water, crossed his arms over his chest, and narrowed his eyes at me.

Noah let out a gasp from behind me before going silent, likely processing everything in his usual way.

"Tell me," Jackson said as continued to stand in the knee-deep water, his suit soaking wet and clinging to his body, his hair lying flat on his head and continuously dripping water down his face. "Were you aware that I would not hit the rocks?" He asked me.

I mirrored his movements and crossed my arms over my chest, even though the movement brought me pain. I stared right back at him blankly and shrugged.

His eyes narrowed further and he let out a breath of annoyance.

I looked between him and Noah. "Good day to the two of you. Now get off my property," I said before turning on my heels and beginning to walk away.

"Wait Crystal," Jackson called out and I stopped in my tracks, looking back over my shoulder at him as he trudged through the water until he was standing on the shore.

I turned around completely to face him. "Give me one good reason."

"Give you one good reason to what?"

"To wait," I said. "To listen. To spend any more time in your presence. To pretend I give a damn about anything you have to say."

Jackson pointed up to the side of the cliff he'd fallen from. "I think you made your point," He said.

I shook my head. "No, I really don't think I did."

He glared at me. "I disagree. You made your feelings toward me quite clear when you allowed me to take a plummet off that cliffside without knowing for sure whether or not I'd make it."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes. "You mean, I had no way of knowing that the cliff in which I used to go diving off of ever since moving here, had one very particular spot-just one mind you-and if you were standing between the two markers I'd left upon the cliff when you fell then you'd just hit the water and swim to shore? Oh no," I said. "That would be completely crazy. Why would I know that?"