07

MADELINE

Charlotte's broadened eyes lingered on my cheek as she placed the veil on me

Charlotte's broadened eyes lingered on my cheek as she placed the veil on me. I could still feel a ringing in my ear due to my father's swing.

When Charlotte tried to grab some makeup for me, it was already time for me to walk down the aisle. Charlotte looked like she needed to cry as she and my mother made their way to their seats, leaving me and my father all alone.

My father forced my hand to his side where he tucked it between his arm. It took a lot of strength for me not to whack him and run away, but I had better judgment than that. Riccardo would catch me immediately, and I was too frightful of the punishment.

"It's time," some man with a headset on told my father. Forming a big smile as if he didn't just slap me a few minutes ago, my father began to walk, forcing me to stroll beside him.

"Smile. Now. You better start acting like you want to be here," my father's threatening tone screamed.

I was positive no one could see my face through the veil, but my father wanted to be an asshole. It was his nature to try and control everything-including my life.

"Fuck you," I said to my father, smiling as we began to walk.

The guests all turned to me, excitement dripping from their stare while I headed to the long aisle. Their eyes were attached to me like glue. I could feel my gown tagging behind me as I stepped onto the aisle, trying my best not to fall.

"You should be glad we are in front of so many people, Madeline," my father whispered into my ear, his smile never faltering, but I could hear his warnings laced in his every word.

I resisted rolling my eyes, focusing on the soft music and the path in front of me. I didn't want to look at Riccardo's face to see the victory in his eyes.

I was ashamed of myself for constantly allowing men to treat me however the hell they wanted to.

Freedom would only become a dream as soon as he said the words 'I do', which sounded just like 'guilty' coming from a judge. Once the wedding band was on my finger, the verdict would be in, and I would be charged with life without parole. Riccardo would then kiss me just like the guards who would strap their prisoner in with handcuffs. My life would be over-forever.

My steps were slow and careful as if I wanted to cherish each step forever-I didn't. The delighted eyes of the guests were on me as if I was so excited to be marrying the love of my life-I wasn't.

I was walking straight to hell, making a deal with the devil as my father led the way.

I never hated my life so much until my wedding day. It was mocking everything I tried so hard to fight against. I should've been allowed to marry who I wanted, not who would grant the most power and money.