08

ÁNGEL

My wife

My wife. Madeline Amelia Siciliano.

I didn't want her to leave, but we had to part in order for her to change out of her wedding gown.

The woman I spoke to on the phone to arrange the wedding had snatched Madeline away and walked her back to my cabin.

"Congratulations, my son!" father glowed.

I embraced him in a hug, reveling in the comfort of being with my old man. He pulled away with a proudness twinkling on his pearly white teeth.

"She's a beautiful woman, that girl. I can't wait to officially meet her," he said, trotting his hand through his peppered hair of black and gray.

"She is," I acknowledged.

"You remember what we talked about, right? She's your wife-a person. You treat her with respect, my son," he reminded me. "I made many mistakes when I married your mother. I did things to her that no woman should ever have to go through. I'm not proud of the man I once was, but I'm glad I learned that there is no weakness in being vulnerable. There's not a single day that goes by when I don't think of your mother. I will always regret the way I treated her."

I nodded my head. I could remember the nights when my mother held me close as she wept because my father was cheating on her. It was the first memory I ever had. She must've thought I was too young to understand, but little did she know, I was fully aware.

"I understand my commitment to her," I declared.

My father gave a firm nod just as Madeline made her appearance.

She was wearing the most beautiful emerald dress that flawlessly cuddled every curve of her body. The fairy lights did an amazing job at capturing the fiery complexion of her hair. She was like a fire I know I should stay away from, but I wanted the ignition, I wanted the heat, I wanted to burn in lust.

My gaze locked onto her dark blue eyes. I couldn't look away as she made her way over to me. The moment she was within range, I placed an arm around her waist and held her close.

"Madeline, this is my father, Matteo Siciliano," I introduced. She shifted her stare from me to my father, her lips parting in surprise, almost as if she wasn't aware he was even there.

"Nice to meet you, Madeline. I know that everything may be a bit stressful for you now seeing as you were prepared to marry Riccardo. Trust me, I was forced to marry someone long ago, too. It turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me," my father advised.

She smiled at him.

"If you ever need anything, or for me to deal with my son here, I am always a call away." He smiled.