Part 3

No matter how hard Stevie tried to push the thought out, Ella's words still rang in the back of her head a few weeks later. She'd never suspected Lindsey of being unfaithful to her, he'd never given a reason to doubt him. But what if... What if working so hard, constantly being away from home was just an excuse to be with someone else?

After contacting Lindsey's assistant, Stevie bought herself a plane ticket and packed a bag. Adam and Ella didn't question their mother's decision, they just promised to behave and be safe until she returned. 

"Hop in, little lady!" 

Stevie chuckled, shaking her head as she walked out of the airport and Lindsey's assistant, Tom, was already waiting to pick her up. "How many times have I told you not to call me that?"

"Doesn't seem to work, does it?" Tom grinned, taking over her luggage to put it in the trunk. "As promised, I haven't said a word to Lindsey."

"Good, thank you." Stevie smiled, releasing a shaky breath. "Is he at the hotel?"

"Soundcheck." Tom replied, fastening his seatbelt. "I've got you all set up, a couple of doors down the hall from Lindsey."

"Fingers crossed, I won't have to stay there long." 

Tom frowned and pushed his sunglasses down the bridge of his nose to look at her. "What's going on?"

"Nothing, everything's fine." Stevie waved it off, forcing a smile. Even if Tom had been working for Lindsey for too many years to count and he was considered to be a friend of the family, she didn't think it was appropriate to spill about her marital problems. If there were any to begin with. "Are we waiting for someone else?"

"Oh, right!" Tom laughed and started the engine.

Once Stevie entered her hotel room, it felt as if the time had slowed down. There wasn't really anything she could occupy herself with nor could she leave, because she wanted her visit to be a surprise. Good or bad, that was still up in the air.

Without anything better to do, Stevie decided to take a nap, which turned into a two hour sleep. She woke up, for a second having forgotten where she was. Checking the time, she thought she could start getting ready. She hadn't attended too many of Lindsey's shows in recent years, so she wasn't going to miss out on the opportunity to see him in action. After a quick shower, she rummaged through her suitcase for her makeup bag. She had also packed an outfit; a black velvet dress with long sleeves and a sweetheart neckline, which stopped just above her knees. With her hair now styled as well, Stevie walked into a cloud of Lindsey's favorite perfume and stepped into a pair of black stilettos.

Unfortunately, there was no way for Tom to bring Stevie to the venue as he was at Lindsey's service right up until the concert began. However, when the loud cheering of the fans echoed across the halls as soon as Lindsey stepped out on the stage, Tom rushed out to meet Stevie outside and bring her in.

"I know, it's not appropriate for me to be saying this, but hot damn!"

"Stop it!" Stevie laughed, blushing a little as she took Tom's hand and he navigated them through the backstage area to the wings.

"Enjoy." Tom patted Stevie on the back and got back to usual business.

There was no denying that Lindsey was an absolute star. The fans adored him and he adored his fans. Stevie felt incredibly proud, watching him, and for a moment all of her doubts and fears had disappeared. She stood, her eyes on him, mesmerized, right up until the very last song, when Tom approached her again and showed her to Lindsey's dressing room.

The concert was over. Stevie was nervously pacing around the room, rubbing her hands together, taking deep breaths, knowing that Lindsey was about to step through the door any second now.

And he did, unable to mask the slightly shocked expression on his face.

"Surprise." Stevie spoke up first, biting into her lower lip she awaited his response.

"You're... you're here." Lindsey stuttered and gulped.