Part 30

Lindsey kept checking his watch, thinking that he was being subtle about it. Stevie glanced at him and he smiled, following her to the next item, which caught her eye. He checked his watch again.

"We can leave if you're bored."

"Do you have eyes in the back of your head?" Lindsey asked, locking his hands behind his back.

"No, I just... feel it, when you check the time." Stevie laughed lightly, picking up another onesie. "This is cute." She said, holding the small piece of clothing up for closer inspection. 

"What's cute? The word chunky embroidered on it?" Lindsey questioned, raising an eyebrow. "You think that our baby's going to be... you know..."

"All babies are chunky, Linds, that's why they're cute." She shrugged, folding the onesie neatly to put it back in its place.

They weren't the only two people in the store. While Stevie was picking out baby clothes, Lindsey kept a close eye on a pair of women, who kept looking their way. Maybe they're fans, Lindsey thought to himself, until-

"Did you hear, she cheated on him with one of his best friends?" One said to the other.

"No way... why would anyone look for someone else, when they've got him at home?"

"Yeah, I know. I heard that she was also heavily into drugs-"

"Excuse me." Lindsey approached the two women. "Would you like to say something? You don't have to whisper, I'm all ears."

Stevie hadn't noticed that Lindsey was no longer behind her. She turned to look, hearing his raised tone of voice, she sighed. "Linds, come on..."

"No, no." He shook his head. "These two classy ladies have an opinion about us." He emphasized, hugging Stevie around the shoulders. "Well? I'm waiting. Don't be shy." He stared at the women, who were at a complete loss of words. "That's what I thought! You know, what they say about opinions? They're like assholes, everybody's got one. That doesn't mean I everybody wants to know about it."

Stevie felt proud and embarrassed at the same time. The look on the women's faces was quite comical, but she really didn't want to stand there and be silently judged any longer.

"Come on, baby." Lindsey said, letting go of the shopping cart. "We'll find a place, where we can shop in peace."

"Sir, wait!" One of the employees, who clearly recognized Lindsey, rushed to stop him. Well, not him, but the large sale going out the door. "If these ladies have made you uncomfortable, I will ask them to leave. We do not tolerate-"

"No need." Lindsey shook his head, his arm still wrapped protectively around Stevie. "We couldn't find anything we liked in here anyway."

They'd gotten into this kind of situation before already, several times. About a month had passed by after Don's interview, but people still talked, which was the reason why Stevie preferred staying at home. Even if Lindsey stood up for her each time, it still wasn't a very nice experience.

"Want to grab a bite to eat?" Lindsey asked, pressing his lips to her temple.

Forcing a smile, Stevie shook her head. "No, I'm quite tired. I just want to go home."

"Steph..." He stopped them and moved to stand in front of her. "Don't even think about it." He said, referring to what had just happened, he laced his fingers through hers. "It's not your fault that people gossip. They do it because their own lives are boring as hell." She smiled a little, casting her eyes down at their joined hands. "I couldn't care less. People recognize me and they recognize you, too. I can't even recall all the wild rumors about myself that I've heard over the years, but I just brush it off because I know the truth." He cradled her face in his hands. "I know the truth, baby. I refuse to crowd my head with opinions of people I have never even met in my life. You shouldn't either." He pressed a kiss to the tip of her nose and moved to stand beside her, sliding his arm along her waist. "So, Italian?"

Stevie chuckled, nodding her head. "Yes, please."