Part 5

Stevie wished she had gone to the hotel to wait for Lindsey. She wished he hadn't insisted on her coming with. She felt the guilt rise up the second her eyes settled on him. She felt dirty and unworthy of calling herself Lindsey's wife. She felt sick, when the only empty seat was next to him. It was silly of her to think that she would never have to see him again, given his rockstar status and the fact he was friends with Lindsey.

"I suddenly wish my wife had paid me a visit." Joe rested against the back of the chair, folding his arms over his chest. "I'm going back to the hotel all by myself, when you..." He trailed off, shaking his head with a chuckle. "I think, it's better I stop right there."

"I would agree." Lindsey nodded, wrapping a protective arm around Stevie. He knew they were only jokes, but he didn't appreciate other men showing their interest in his wife. "I'm really glad we were able to find some time to catch up. It's been way too long."

"Hey, if our paths cross again during this tour, I'd be more than happy to do this again." Joe agreed, nodding his head. "I think, I'll be heading back to the hotel, guys. I'm pretty beat. Don, you're coming with me?"

Don hesitated to answer. He could tell, what Stevie wanted him to say. "Uh, you know what? I'll stay for another drink, I'll find my way back."

"We've got an early flight, we better not have to wait for you." Joe pointed a finger at his bandmate, before he rose to his feet as did Lindsey to say goodbye. "Good to see you, man."

"You, too. We should do this again for sure." Lindsey added, stepping aside to let Joe give Stevie a goodbye hug. 

"It was nice seeing you again." Stevie smiled, letting go, and she meant it. Out of all Lindsey's industry friends, Joe was one of the few she had nothing against. 

When Joe left, Lindsey excused himself and went to the restroom. Stevie had to fight against asking him to stay, but she couldn't do that. She kept her head straight, praying that Don was going to keep his mouth shut.

No such luck.

"Well..." Don smirked turning towards her. "It's been some time, huh?"

"I have nothing to say to you." Stevie replied, reaching for her wine. 

"You still look so fine. What are you now? Like 45?" He knew she was. "You must be taking very good care of yourself."

"Please, stop talking." She was getting more uncomfortable by the second. 

"Yeah, we've never been good at that. Words are overrated anyway." Don shrugged, his hand settled on her thigh, which Stevie quickly pushed away. "You should come by my hotel, when your husband falls asleep. You know, like you used to."

"Shut up." Stevie said through gritted teeth. 

"You're just as feisty as ever." Don grinned, when she slapped his hand away again. Before he could say anything else, he caught Lindsey out of the corner of his eye, coming back to the table. "On second thought, I should probably go, too."

"Oh, really?" Lindsey asked, a bit disappointed. 

"Yeah, we have that flight to catch in the morning. I hate to admit, but I'm getting older. I need my rest." Don added with a laugh. "You two have a nice evening." 

Stevie felt nauseous, when Don opened his arms for a hug after shaking hands with Lindsey, but there was no way for her to escape it. When she wanted to pull away, his hold tightened.

"I can't wait to see you again." He whispered only for her to hear.

It didn't take long before Stevie and Lindsey left as well. After a couple of drinks he'd downed, Lindsey wasn't as aware that something wasn't right as he would have been if he were sober. He kept reminiscing about the good old days, about the first tour with Eagles and how much fun they had, while Stevie listened, but she didn't actually hear much, her thoughts elsewhere. 

"I've missed you in bed with me." Lindsey wrapped his arm around Stevie's waist, pressing a small kiss to her shoulder, when they finally lay down. "I've missed you." He emphasized, his lips continuing their journey up to her neck. "You smell so good." He inhaled her scent deeply, the palm of his hand now on her hip.

With every touch of his hands, his lips, her heart beat faster. She tried to respond and reciprocate, but each time she closed her eyes, all she could see was Don, feel his touch, feel his kiss. When Lindsey's hand slipped in between her thighs, she felt like screaming.

"Linds, I'm sorry. I'm- I'm so tired." Stevie reached for his hand and brought it back up to her middle.

"I, uh... sorry." Lindsey sighed, trying not to sound too disappointed. "Of course, you are. Goodnight." He said, laying his head on her pillow.

"Are you mad at me?" She looked over her shoulder, not really able to see anything in the dark. 

"No, I get it." He gave her a brief kiss on the lips. "Honestly. I'm just happy you're with me." He sounded sincere, but she still felt bad. The night wasn't supposed to go the way it did. 

"I love you."

"I love you, too." Lindsey replied, tightening his hold on her. 

Lindsey drifted off in minutes, while Stevie stayed up, her eyes wide open, for the better part of the night.