Part 7

Stevie didn't particularly enjoy accompanying Lindsey to the afterparties, however, she wanted to be supportive of her husband, show him that she cared about him and his success. She also didn't appreciate the groupies flinging themselves at him, whenever she looked the other way nor did she want Lindsey to make an ass out of himself if left alone with more alcohol and pot than he could consume. He was a young, good looking and popular. She was gorgeous, flirtatious and with an ability to capture everyone's attention in every room she walked into. She wasn't considered as just the wife of Lindsey Buckingham, no, people wanted to be around her, too, so if it wasn't a party after a show, it was an event, a birthday party, a wedding of someone else famous - they were there as well.

"Don't you think you've had enough?" Stevie asked, her eyebrows creased as she helped Lindsey sit down.

"What, no! Aren't you having fun, baby?" He dragged her into his lap, a goofy grin on his face, his hands seemingly everywhere at the same time.

"Stop it, Lindsey." She pushed herself up to her feet, giving him a pointed look. "You're wasted. You can't even stand up straight anymore. Come on, let's go."

"Nu-uh. I don't wanna." Lindsey shook his head, accepting another drink from whomever was passing them by. "Take a sip, relax."

"I'm tired, it's been a long day. Can we leave before the sun comes up at least once?" Stevie sounded as if she was pleading, but that didn't seem to make much of a difference.

"Come 'ere." Lindsey beckoned with his finger and Stevie sighed, leaning in closer. "This is my first tour with a huge band, Steph. I wouldn't have dared dreaming about opening for Eagles two years ago, but here I am!" His ability to act sober, when he needed to, continued to amaze her. "Can't you just be happy for me and let me enjoy this? So what if I have too much to drink, who cares if I do something stupid? I want to be here, I want to live in the moment." He emphasized with his hand over his heart. "If you wanna go, then go. I don't need you to scowl at me from across the room or tell me that I've had enough. If you're not happy, please, leave."

When Lindsey began his speech, Stevie thought it was going to go in a completely different direction and she had softened for a minute, before he opened his mouth again. Straightening up, fuming inside, but without a word, Stevie snatched someone else's drink right from their hand and finished it in one big gulp. 

"You're an asshole." She said and turned towards the exist.

Lindsey didn't think she was going to do that. Somehow, he managed to stand up and catch up with her. "Baby, I'm sorry. Don't leave."

"I am leaving, Lindsey!" She shouted in his face, without caring who might hear them. "You just told me to. Apparently, you don't need me, so I'm just going to go and let you enjoy your stupid party!"

"Oh my God, you're always so damn dramatic!" 

"I'm dramatic!" Stevie laughed without any humor in her voice. "I asked you to leave early once."  She jabbed a finger into his chest. "Once, Lindsey! And you told me that you didn't need me around, because I'm ruining the evening for you!"

By now, nearly everybody at the party were looking their way. Lindsey wasn't exactly aware and Stevie just didn't care.

"I didn't say that, Steph." Lindsey shook his head, placing his hands on her shoulders, she shrugged them off as soon as he touched her. "You always hear what you want to hear."

"Fuck you."  She spat the words out and marched out the door.

The room was silent for only a short moment, before the conversations among the guests continued. Lindsey knew better than to chase after Stevie, however, to someone else, it was the opportunity they had been waiting for.

Unnoticed, he slipped out into the hallway. Turning his head to the left, he found the corridor to be empty, he looked to the right and saw her impatiently waiting for the elevator. As if he were just being nice, he approached her and put his hand on her shoulder, catching her attention.

"Are you okay?"

Slightly taken aback, Stevie nodded her head. "I'm fine."

"You know, there's no reason for you to be stealing my drinks. I would have made you one." Don smiled and Stevie did too.

"I'm sorry." She sighed. "I didn't realize it was you standing next to me."

"Things got a bit heated, huh."  

"I just embarrassed the both of us in there." 

"If you ask me, you didn't do anything wrong." Don shrugged, having lured Stevie away from the elevator without her even realizing. "While a fantastic musician, Lindsey seems to be quite difficult to deal with." When she didn't reply, he asked. "Do you want to talk? I could make you that drink."

"I, uh..." Stevie hesitated, looking around to check if the hallway was still empty. "I'm not sure that's such a good idea. You don't want to listen to my problems."

"I wouldn't have offered." Don gave a shrug of his shoulders.

"One drink and I'll be on my way." Stevie half-asked, half-said.

Don's room was just a few doors away from the one Stevie had just run out of. He showed her inside and Stevie entered the room, still a bit unsure. Don turned on the light for as long as it took him to light up several candles scattered around the room. She sat down, looking around at first, before her eyes settled on him. He resembled Lindsey quite strongly actually. He was also an important man, a worldwide famous musician, who took an interest, who wanted to be there for her even though they really didn't know each other that well. She'd be lying if she said, she wasn't flattered. 

"Here." Don handed Stevie a glass and she accepted with a smile. "My God, you're gorgeous."

"I'm... not." She looked away, suddenly shy. 

"He's an idiot, you know. He doesn't realize, how lucky he is." The distance between them was no longer existent. "It was disgusting to watch him yelling at you back there." Stevie gulped, feeling his fingertips dance across her back. "You deserve so much better."  His hot breath sent shivers down her spine as he got closer, brushing her hair away from her neck. 

"I- maybe I- I- should-" She was unable to get a coherent sentence out. 

She didn't try to again, when his hand fell on her thigh and he kissed her neck...

~

I feel like you're not liking this story very much. I'm not sure I should continue...