Part 8

That can't ever happen again, Stevie remembered herself saying as she was cleaning up the kitchen after dinner. But it did, it happened again and it continued until the end of the tour. She hated that one evening in Don's presence brought back all those memories of their affair, which she had tried so hard to forget. They only seemed to resurface when she left Lindsey and returned home. The conversations they had, the things they told each other, the passionate sex quite literally anytime they could, anywhere they could. She wasn't proud of it and to this day she still carried the guilt, but at that time she and Lindsey had been together for several years. Don was like a breath of fresh air, a forbidden one. It was wrong and it could have ruined her marriage, but... She only said, enough, when Don confessed he had feelings for her. Stevie wasn't in it to fall in love. In spite of being unfaithful, she still loved Lindsey. 

I can't wait to see you again, Don's words echoed in Stevie's head as she opened a bottle of wine and poured herself a glass. What did he mean by that? He was a married man as well now. There were no longer that many opportunities of bumping into each other since Stevie barely joined Lindsey on tour nowadays. Was he going to make an effort to see her? Well, she didn't want to see him. She hoped, she had made herself pretty clear. But what if... what if he went to Lindsey instead then? Don had threatened to tell the truth once before, what was stopping him from doing so now?

"Are you watching this?" Ella came into the family room and made herself comfortable on the couch. 

"Wha- uh, no. Go ahead." Stevie handed Ella the TV remote.

"So, did you and dad have fun?" Ella asked while switching from one channel to the other. "And no disgusting details, please."

"Yeah, it was nice." Stevie nodded, taking a sip from her glass. "Just not enough time as always."

"Are you sure you two are fine?" Ella put away the remote and turned to her mother. "Since you came home yesterday you've been on another planet."

"We are, El'. We actually talked and opened up about our feelings. The whole thing was just a misunderstanding." Stevie explained, hoping she did so well enough. 

The two grew quiet. Ella found something that interested her on TV, while Stevie scrolled on her phone, looking at the pictures and videos taken by fans from Lindsey's most recent show. However, the silence was shortly interrupted, when the house phone started ringing.

"I'll get that, it might be dad." Ella jumped to her feet, only to return a moment later. "It's for you and it's not dad."

Stevie told herself, no, it couldn't be. There was no way. Yet, at the same time she just had a feeling... She slowly stood up and walked out of the room, her mouth suddenly dry. 

"Hello?"

"Hey, doll."

She closed her eyes with a heavy sigh.