Episode 1.22

Laser blasts streaked past the Millennium Falcon's cockpit as Lucas gripped the back of Lumina's chair as tightly as he could. The Star Destroyer Avenger had pursued them through the asteroid field and now fired relentlessly at them. The Falcon wove and dipped, seeking to avoid not only the lasers but the asteroids as Han and Chewbacca set their course.

"Hurry up," Lucas forced through gritted teeth. "I'm not that keen on getting fried."

"Nobody is," Lumina told him.

"I'm setting the coordinates as fast as I can, kid," Han snapped, not removing his gaze from the navicomputer.

"At least we're coming out of the asteroid field," C-3PO said, sounding relieved.

Breathe. You know this works. Not the hyperdrive, but how we'll escape the Imperials. At least, it worked in the movie.

However comforting that thought had been on re-watching The Empire Strikes Back as a kid, it was much less so now that Lucas was actually a part of the story.

"Done!" Han exclaimed. "Let's get out of here. Ready for lightspeed?"

"We've been ready for a while now," Lucas groaned as Han grabbed the throttle and eased it back.

Nothing happened. At all. Lucas had known this was going to happen, but he hadn't been prepared for the sudden amount of disappointment that welled up inside him. He couldn't help groaning.

"What?" Han cried, aggravated.

Chewbacca growled.

"Oh, I knew this was going to happen," Lumina murmured, slumping back in her chair. Like Lucas, she looked more disappointed than she should have been, considering they both knew this was going to happen.

"No lightspeed?" Leia asked, her eyes widening.

"Oh no," C-3PO fretted. "I am sure we are about to be destroyed."

"All the transfer circuits are working," Han said, his brow furrowed in anger and puzzlement. "I don't know what's wrong. We should be in hyperspace by now. It's not my fault!"

The Falcon shook as a blast of laserfire struck it, causing Lucas to stagger and almost fall. As he righted himself, fixing his stance, he saw a red light blinking on the control console. For a moment, he thought the light said "Check engine," but then realized it actually read "Check shields."

That's not good.

"Sir, we have lost the main rear deflector shield," C-3PO said, also noting the blinking light. "One more direct hit in the back quarter and we are done for."

"Turn her around, Chewie." Han ordered. "I'm going to put all power in the front shields." He gripped the controls. "I hate that stupid light."

"You're attacking them?" Leia demanded, shocked.

"Not exactly," Han muttered, jerking on the controls and swerving the Falcon to the side, coming around face to face with the Avenger.

He flew straight at the Star Destroyer, increasing the Falcon's speed. The interior of the Star Destroyer quickly became evident, and Lucas could make out Captain Needa standing on the bridge. In the last couple moments, he could even see the expression of horror on Needa's face.

Then Han pulled the ship to the left and they hurtled past the Avenger.

****

Leana tried to focus on the present as she and Luke continued their Jedi training, but it was hard considering the failure in her immediate past. I knew it was a test against the dark side, and I still failed. I failed despite knowing all about it. I failed. Failed, failed, failed.