Episode 1.12

Vader felt Veers' presence before he entered the room. With his helmet on, there was no harm in Veers' presence. His chair pivoted so he could face the Imperial general.

"What is it, General?" he asked gravely.

"My lord, the fleet has moved out of lightspeed," Veers answered. "Comm-scan has detected an energy field protecting an area of the sixth planet of the Hoth system. The field is strong enough to deflect any bombardment."

So the Force-sensitive has found her way into the Rebel ranks. Poor choice of action for her.

"The Rebels are alerted to our presence," Vader said. "Admiral Ozzel came out of lightspeed too close to the system."

"He felt surprise was wiser," Veers began, tensing.

"He is as clumsy as he is stupid," the Sith asserted. "General, prepare your troops for a surface attack. If any beings appear to act like Jedi, shoot to stun."

"Yes, my lord."

The sound of Veers' retreating footsteps faded as Vader turned his attention away from the general, looking to new matters. Admiral Ozzel must be dealt with. There were better men to command the Executor.

A vidscreen lit up, showing Ozzel, Piett, and Dan. The three Imperials regarded Vader with serious expressions. Ozzel began to speak first. "Lord Vader, the fleet has moved out of lightspeed and we're preparing to –"

Vader lifted his hand slightly, curling his fingers inward. Ozzel's words stopped as the Force blocked off his esophagus. He grasped for his throat, clawing and gasping.

"You have failed me for the last time, Admiral," Vader intoned. Piett and Dan glanced from the choking Ozzel to Vader and back again, eyes wide despite efforts to control their expressions. "I will choose someone else with the proper intelligence to command this ship."

Dan seemed to perk up a bit, straightening, as Ozzel collapsed, dead.

"Captain Piett," Vader named. "Take command over the Executor. You are admiral now."

Dan's shoulders slumped. "Ah, man." When both Vader and Piett looked at him, he lifted his hand in a salute. "I mean, good choice. I'm sure there will be plenty of opportunities for my rise through the ranks at some future date. Never mind this most perfect opportunity."

"Thank you, Lord Vader," Piett said to the Sith Lord.

"Lieutenant Dan, you have been elevated to the rank of captain," Vader told him, and Dan brightened again.

"You will not regret this, Lord Vader!"

"Make ready to land our troops beyond their energy field and deploy the fleet so that nothing gets off the system," Vader ordered. "Any Jedi are to be detained for my interrogation. Under no circumstances are they to be killed."

Piett and Dan exchanged a confused glance. "Yes, Lord Vader," Piett replied nevertheless, and Dan saluted again.

****

Lucas' boots crunched in the icy surface of the snow as he ran across the blinding white expanse with the rest of the Rebel foot soldiers, his rifle heavy in his gloved hands. The air was crisp and cold, cutting through his layers of winter gear, but it wasn't bothering him yet. He wouldn't have assumed his living through New York winters his entire life would have prepared him for Hoth, but it seemed to have.

Adrenaline raced through his blood as light flakes of snow brushed against his goggles, blown by the wind. His years of soccer and being best friends with Leana had got him really well conditioned for running, and Lucas kept up easily with the other Rebels, despite the cold air knifing his throat.