chapter, 𝟏𝟑

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 —𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐃𝐈𝐃 𝐖𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐔𝐏 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍𝐇𝐎𝐖 𝐃𝐈𝐃 𝐖𝐄 𝐄𝐍𝐃 𝐔𝐏 𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄

Did something happen with Montgomery?

𝐂𝐀𝐓𝐎 𝐇𝐀𝐃𝐋𝐄𝐘

─────────────────────

𝐀𝐒 𝐈 𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐏 𝐎𝐔𝐓 𝐎𝐅 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐓𝐎𝐑 onto the 12th floor, I can't help but feel a sense of unease. The conversation in the elevator has left me with a lot to think about. The Quarter Quell is approaching, and I know that I need allies to survive, but who can I trust in this group of victors?

Montgomery and Haymitch are waiting for me in the corridor. Haymitch has that mischievous grin on his face, and Montgomery seems a bit flustered by the encounter with Johanna and Cato. I can't blame him; their personalities are like night and day.

"Ready for a drink, sweetheart?" Haymitch asks, throwing his arm around my shoulder.

I nod, though my mind is still racing with thoughts of the Quarter Quell Cato. "Yeah, a drink sounds good."

We head to our apartment, where Effie is waiting for us, dressed in her usual extravagant Capitol fashion. She's chattering excitedly about the evening's events and the various parties we'll be attending. Effie is always so bubbly, but I can't help but feel a sense of dread about the Quarter Quell looming in the near future.

Effie, oblivious to my concerns, leads us to the dining area, where a lavish spread of Capitol cuisine awaits us. I pick at my food, my appetite diminished by the weight of what's to come. Montgomery seems equally preoccupied, and I can tell that he's not accustomed to the extravagance of Capitol life.

After dinner, Haymitch pours us each a glass of wine, and we settle into the plush chairs in the living area. I take a sip, savoring the warmth that spreads through me. It's a small comfort in the midst of uncertainty.