chapter, 𝟏𝟒

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍 —𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐒

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
𝐀𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐄𝐒

I'm not a Capitol's darling; my path is a bit more challenging, you see.

𝐊𝐀𝐋𝐄𝐍 𝐂𝐀𝐒𝐓𝐄𝐋𝐋𝐀𝐍

─────────────────────

Haymitch and I walk side by side in unison, our new training shoes echoing on the concrete floor. Effie's words about the Capitol sparing no expense for the Quarter Quell ring true as we enter the transformed training center. The new training center doesn't look anything like the one from a year ago.

My mind wanders back to the previous year when Haymitch was my mentor. Now, he stands by my side as my district partner. Amidst the chaos and excitement, my reflections shift to the realization that this Quarter Quell is not just about me—it involves Haymitch as well. Haymitch is chosen to go back into the arena after 25 long years. Haymitch won the 50th Hunger Games, the first Quarter Quell.  The games have stripped him of everything, leaving him with no one and nothing to call his own. The only thing left is the horror of mentoring children every year for the games, only to watch them get brutally murdered in an arena.

The automated sliding door swings open, jolting me back to reality. We're the last Victors to enter,, the others have already retreated to train and show off their skills.

"Remember, sweetheart, today's about making allies." Haymitch reminds me.

I nod, recognizing that me and Cato are the outsiders. Haymitch, with his existing connections among the victors, has a clear idea of who he wants in his alliance. But I can't help it, Cato's words from last night are echoeing in my mind. You don't need those alliances of unsureness; I'll do anything in my power to protect you in the Quarter Quell.

"So far, I'm not really overwhelmed by my choices." I murmur to him and he just gives me a mocking look. "We know that despite everything, you always choose the best," Haymitch throws back in an ironic undertone, a reference to Cato.