Chapter 9- ❄️It's Christmas!❄️

The smile stretches across my face before my eyes even blink open.

The crisp fresh frosty air is decadent from the late blanket of snowfall that lasted until the early hours of the morning.

Christmas morning!

I sit up in a rush, rubbing my sleepy eyes and Red stirs in his sleep next to me. He reaches out and pulls me closer to him without opening his eyes yet.

"Red, it's Christmas morning!" I declare as I run my fingers through his hair and reposition myself to snuggle him while his arms wrap over my torso.

The grin spreads on his face, but his eyes remain closed. "Merry Christmas to you Holly." Red makes a little stretch before his chocolate eyes come into view with a contagious yawn.

"Merry Christmas Red," I beam to him before he leans in for a sweet and mushy kiss while we're still cuddled under the blanket.

"I'm happy to be spending it with you," he takes a hold of my chin and sweeps the pad of his thumb over my cheek.

My eyes are starting to welt before I can even control it. "I'm the happiest I've been in a while for Christmas and you are the best present I've ever gotten."

"I can definitely say the same about you too honey," he groans with a sultry morning hoarseness in his voice.

We manage a few more minutes cuddling and exchanging sweet tender kisses before I scuffle out of bed.

"Come on, we need to go downstairs for the tradition of Christmas pancakes before we open presents!" I say cheerfully, but I notice he's not getting up with me.

"I need a minute," he clears his throat. "The mornings are sorta, hard, no pun intended."

Oh. OH.

"Oh my, I'm so sorry!" I can't believe it right now, omg, I'm completely embarrassed right now I didn't even realize that.

"I'll just, uh, meet you downstairs." I cover my hands over my face while Red is laughing at my inhibition to remember the male anatomy. I just blindly find the knob until I'm shutting the door behind me and I can release my shameful eyes.

Why did I have to make that so awkward?

I'm trying to shake some common sense into myself when I walk into the kitchen and am greeted by the majority of my family. Mom gives me her strong hugs, followed by my dad and Noel joins in. We all share our exchanges of Merry Christmases and even Chris gives me a hug before letting my sister sit back on his lap.

Mom hands me a Christmas tree mug with fresh steaming coffee. I inhale the warm nutty roast mixed with the sweet chocolatey  peppermint.

"So when is Nick and Bridgette coming over with Avery?" I ask as I sip on the coffee.

Like I spoke it into existence, Avery comes barreling in with loud squeals of Santa already stopping at her house. Nick walks in assisting a very pregnant Bridgette and helps her take off her jacket.

"Merry Christmas!" She cheers to us before going through with hugs to us all and takes a seat at the table next to me.

"Well, we're just missing Red," mom states and raises her eyebrows to me. "Where is he Holly?"

I'm like a deer caught in the headlights and I nearly choke on my coffee. "Uh, I don't know. I think I heard the bathroom going um, before I came down." I avoid everyone's eyes and stare into the depths of my mug.

"Yeah right, H," Nick cracks up. "We're all adults no need to be weird about it. I went into my room the other day and it doesn't look like the bed has even been slept in. He's been in your room huh sis?"