Chapter 1 - ❄️There's no place like home for the holidays❄️

Back to colorful Colorado here I come!

All year, every year, I get so excited to travel back home for the holidays. Usually I only take a weeks worth of vacation, so I bank the rest on my check for a hefty bonus. This year I'm instead taking the two weeks to come out a tad earlier than normal.

I am originally from Colorado, but I moved to down to Fort Lauderdale, Florida after graduating from the University of Florida. When I finished the 8 years, getting my associates and then my bachelors degrees, I got a job offer for a data analyst position down south. I couldn't pass it up. It was boring, but I made great money for just having graduated.

But Florida lacks the season change, so it makes the holidays feel less than, magical.

I stuffed my suitcase and used my all body weight to keep it from prying open. I tugged at  the zipper, barely budging but finally zipped shut. I clap my hands in approval. I grab it off my bed and the unexpected weight makes me drop it to the ground and the zipper rips open, making all the contents fly all over the floor.

"Oh crap!"

I inspect the zipper and it's ripped at the seam.

I groan and rub my temples. "At least it happened here and not at the freaking airport!"

I look at the digital clock on my nightstand. My flight is in less than three hours and I wanted to get to Fort Lauderdale International two hours prior to my flight time.

"This is what you get for not getting a new suitcase. You said last year you'd get a new one, but nooo Holly, you had to put it off." I scold myself. I have the habit of talking to myself. I guess it became more frequent in the years I've lived alone in my own condo. My neighbors probably think I'm crazy. At least I don't have a million cats to further prove their point.

I sigh, knowing the old worn faded red duffel bag in the back of my closet is now my only option.

I quickly shove all the contents scattered across the floor into the duffle and there's plenty of room still it zips closed without strain.

I ran around unplugging anything that didn't need to run up my bill while I'm gone. I take out my phone to request an Uber to drive me to the airport.

I throw the strap of the duffel bag over my shoulder and it unsteadies my balance. I grab my oversized black leather purse with all my airplane entertainment, as well as the winter coat that I'll need when I get off the plane.

My mom called to tell me it's supposed to snow after I land. I just hope it doesn't interfere with the flight or turbulence. I try not to be a baby about being thousands of feet up in the sky but that's why they offer alcohol on flights. Right?

I lock my door and get into the elevator to head down to the lobby of the building, waiting for the Uber driver. It says that the driver, Brian is 6 minutes away.

I fall back onto the hard white leather couch in the lobby, the duffel bag anchoring me down.

I pull out my phone while I wait to check my flight status and it still says on time, I let out a sigh. My mom knows better than to worry me about flights, but she did it anyways.

The notification pops up that the driver arrived and I struggle to stand under the weight of the duffel bag weighing me down.

I knock into the glass door ever so gracefully on my way out and the driver pulled up to the front muffles his laugh.

"Are you Holly Adams?" He asks to confirm the ride.

"Yes, I am!" I huff while juggling the load of the duffel bag and blowing away the blonde curls that fell over my face.