Trial

Starr was left alone in her room, no one brought her food, or water. She just sat there carving messages into the floor and wall. She had no notion of why she was doing it, but it kept her sane, focused, the words she carved meant something to her. Maybe they had something to do with her memories, or maybe they had something to do with the guiding voice that had led her so far. Either way Starr carved, and carved. She didn't sleep, not that she would've been able to anyways, the person in the next room over was screaming all night long. By the time anyone bothered checking on her, she had filled the whole room with her strange incoherent writing. The first person to visit her was Doctor Ethan. He brought with him a guard, not because he felt he needed one, but because today was the trial, and they had to do everything officially. He unlocked the door, but did not enter the room but instead he called her from outside. "Come on, it's time." Starr got up and opened the door, she opened it wide open so he could see everything inside the room. He didn't look around the room at all, he had already seen what she was doing through the video surveillance they had put up when she first got here, the guard looked a little shocked, but even that didn't last long. Doctor Ethan held out his hand and said "I'll be taking that knife, it wouldn't do for you to be caught with that in court." Starr tossed the knife back in the room and started walking past the therapist. He put his hand on her shoulder to stop her.
"Actually today is going to be a little different, today you will be wearing these." He pulled out a pair of handcuffs, Starr loathed it, but she complied and held out her hands. Starr was then marched out of the facility and back into the open air, for the first time in the past three days Starr was allowed to step outside the facility. Although far from free, Starr had a guard on either side of her, with Doctor Ethan following close behind. The doctor said nothing the whole walk, he just stared solemnly ahead. They got to a cop car parked outside, Ethan opened the back door and ushered her in. He did not follow, he talked to the officer a bit, Starr could not hear them from inside the backseat of the car. The doctor then walked back into the building leaving Starr to the mercy of the officer. The officer looked tense, and nervous. He climbed in the drivers seat in the car, and made sure to adjust his mirror so he could clearly see Starr in the back seat at all times. They drove in complete silence, the officer kept glancing back nervously at Starr who just stared out the window at the town they were passing through. Buildings looked familiar, but not terribly so. Had she been here before, was this place linked to her memories in some way. As the streets passed by she gained a faint sense of familiarity with the passing buildings. One small house stood out to her, it looked like it was recently burned in some kind of fire, she couldn't quite put her finger on why it looked so familiar. They arrived at the courthouse, not to long after. The courthouse was massive and had a very Roman architectural style, there were lots of people gathered outside, angry people, scary people. The officer got out of the car and opened the door for her, the whole time being careful not to do anything that would upset Starr. He led her down through the center of the crowd of people, the officer parted them as he went. The officer was not however able to keep the crowd from yelling insults and throwing object at Starr. Once inside the officer shut the massive doors behind them, the people outside continued yelling, but the muffled most of their chants. The officer walked her into a room in the back, a court room. The room was already full of people, and as Starr was led in, the people began whispering among themselves. Starr was led to her seat on the defendant's chair, the whole court room went quiet everyone had their eyes fixated on Starr. The judges booth towered above her, so high she couldn't see his face.
"This is the case of the black family versus." The judge hesitated a bit before continuing. "Versus Starr, I commence the end of this recess, now that the defendant is here we will review the crimes and decide a fitting punishment." There were murmurs throughout the crowd. The judge simply continued, we've already heard from all of the plaintiff's witnesses, so we will now hear from the defendant's so can we have Doctor Ethan step up." Ethan entered the courtroom and walked straight to front and took a seat in the witness booth. "Alright we just have some questions for you regarding the defendant."
The court officer walked over to Ethan and had him do his pledges, " I swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth." He snuck glances at Starr whenever he could, but Starr just gave him back a cold dead stare.
"Alright so we have taken a look at the evidence you've provided the court already, and your claim. Let's see here." There was a sound of paper shuffling as the judge flipped through several pages. "Your claim ... is that the accused is suffering from a mental illness. You testify that she cannot be held responsible for her actions, because she can not see that what she did was a crime." The judge said this in a way like he was questioning the sanity of Ethan as opposed to Starr's.
"So to begin us off, Doctor Ethan, you have been monitoring the defendant since the incident in question occurred. Can you describe how this arrangement has been." A rather creepy smile spread across Ethan's face.
"Why this arrangement as you call it has been amazing thank you for asking. Working with her has been a dream come true. She doesn't care for anyone else, she is completely untainted by the outside world. It's like she was born only recently. The look in her eyes when she talked about how she killed the boy, pure ....." The judge smacked his gavel and Ethan shut up.
" I've heard enough. Your photo evidence was also quite pointless." The judge pushed a stack of photos off of his stand, they fluttered slowly to the ground. Ethan jumped out of the witness booth and tried to collect them up as much as he could. One fell and landed right in front of Starr. The picture was of Starr, she was sitting in her room at the rehabilitation facility holding her knife and carving into the floor. What she was carving though shocked her, that was not something she had done, in the picture she was carving the words "End him" in giant letters. Starr stared long and hard at the picture, before suddenly it was snatched up by Ethan who was still frantically working on grabbing all of the dropped pictures. The officer took a step forward towards Ethan to try and stop him. All at once, as if the officer hadn't existed in the first place he was gone. His clothes now laid in a messy pile where he was standing. Nobody in the courtroom seemed to comprehend what had just happened, nobody except Ethan. Ethan walked over to the pile of clothes and moved aside the shoes. There under the sole of the shoe was one of the fallen pictures. The picture now had a footprint on it covering most of the image.
" How dare you." He started looking wildly around the room, his eyes crazy slowly losing their color and his hair started to writhe and twist in unnatural ways." How dare you, all of you."He spun around to face the judges booth. "And you." The judge started to rise up in the air. "You would hold this unfair trial designed to deprive me of this cold ruthless girl." For the first time Starr could see the judge. The judge writhed in pain and kept struggling against an invisible force, all the while Ethan was laughing more and more maniacally. People in the gallery were starting to run away fleeing the courtroom, everyone except the Black family who stayed in their plaintiff stand watching the incident unfold before them. The judge stopped moving altogether, his body fell limply to the ground. Ethan spun around towards the Black family who despite the circumstances did not run. "You, I'd like to thank you guys for giving me the opportunity to meet her, but now you're getting in my way, you too would have her taken from me, so you've got to go." He started towards them, but was instantly halted. Starr was now standing in between Ethan and the Black family. She raised her hand up towards Ethan her eyes closed tight, for whatever reason, Starr was starting to feel some semblance of control over her power. With one hit Ethan was blown onto his back, Starr opened her eyes and looked at the therapist. Instead of the pain and anger she was expecting, he was smiling. "Yes.... yes Starr, show me your true self." He writhed in an attempt to get up but something held him to the ground. "Starr you and me, we are so very much alike, it's like we were made for each other." His voice was muffled like he was being smothered.
"Don't compare me too you." Starr looked down at Ethan whose life force was fading fast.
"Me, you, Starr we are special, we have gifts. Surely you realize by now, the world is yours to shape as you see fit. Dwelling on what happened in the past won't change anything. Starr...." His voice trailed off as the light left his eyes. Starr looked back to the family she had just protected.
"Monster." The mother of Jonathan Black got up. "You monster, how could you." Starr stared in disbelief as the family who she had saved from this man begun hurling insults at her. She backed up from them slowly, she stepped on something soft and squishy. She looked down to see the doctors corpse, and to her right was the corpse of the judge. Two more people that's death could be linked to Starr. Eventually the police entered the courtroom, they grabbed Starr and took her away, the Black family screaming names and insults at her the whole way out.