Kabanata 22

Kabanata 22
Suspicious

We're all like statues. Standing. Didn't moved even a bit. No one spoke a single word for about half a minute, until Sir London cleared his throat.

"Is that so?"

There's hint of both confusion and defeat in his voice. Dahan-dahang bumababa ang kaniyang kamay mula sa akin hanggang sa tuluyan na niya akong binitawan.

Hindi ko mapigilang lumingon sa kaniya. I don't know what's up to him.

A frown has shown in his face for a short time, then he quickly erased it from his expression. Napansin ko 'yon. Kahit baguhin pa niya.

"I didn't know that you live together. How long?"

"None of your business," Aidan answered nonchalantly.

But despite of that, Sir London managed to chuckle. Forced.

"Okay, okay. It's fine. My bad," then he smiled again. I didn't know how many times he smiled within this day, but this one is incomparable to others. It feels like he is covering something.

Or maybe I'm just thinking crazy.

"I have to go," he bid to us then his eyes shifted to me.

I can see his softness. I am seeing a different person. But whoever it is, I'm loving it. It's not weird, yet bizarre.

He ruffled my hair and I closed my eyes for seconds. His touch were also soft. He chuckled again.

Different. Totally different.

"Goodnight, Sef. Take care."

He walked away.

I was standing here, watching him go to his car and drove away. The streets were partly empty. Just a few vehicles passing by. Crickets were singing to the night.

I felt Aidan's firm arms wrapped around me. I feel safe and protected for an unknown reason.

"May pupuntahan pa tayo," he whispered to my ear.

"At saan naman?"

"We're going to the mall. I will buy you a new pair of glasses," he said.

I smirked.

"As you should," sabi ko at sumunod sa kaniya patungo sa motorsiklo niya. He started the engine and I embraced him tightly.

He's my source of warmth in this cold night

We passed the dark streets. I looked up to the sky to watch the breathtaking view of the stars. I had a certain bizarre feeling that makes me want to explode in euphoria.

Never thought that a simple night could be this odd and spectacular.

Kinalas ko ang pagkakayakap sa kaniya upang itaas ang kamay at damhin ang kakaibang lamig ng hangin.

Ilang minuto lang ay nakarating na kami sa mall. It is exactly seven o'clock in the evening.

Few people were strolling. Most of them are finding their way out. Samantalang paparating palang kami.

"Do you want to walk around before going to the eyewear store?"

I twitched my lips while thinking. We have three hours left before the mall would close. That's a lot of time. Maybe, we could do that.

"Okay," pagsang-ayon ko.

Is this going to be a date?

He held my pulse while pulling me somewhere. His steps were long so I walked faster to catch up. No one looked at us, thankfully. I'm afraid that they would suspect and disgust us. I'm feeling so awkward right now and my cheeks were turning red.