a puppet's reason

Olivia Grace Arcane

"Thank you, Cara. I will rest for a while." I thanked Cara and lied down on my bed.

"Yes, princess. I will come back with tea and refreshments later."

I watched as Cara left my room and closed the doors.

When I was finally left alone and only the four walls of my room kept me accompanied, I could finally let my guards down even just a little.

I tried to erase the look on prince Calian's face when he heard my answer, but I couldn't.

He had a look of sheer confusion, shock and even frustration. If only we weren't in front of the four royalties, I'm sure that he would have already asked me the reason why I answered the way I did.

And I wouldn't be able to answer him. Come to think of it, if he does ask, I would have no words to answer him.

I sighed heavily and convinced myself to forget what had just happened.

I sat down in front of my vanity mirror, a vintage one passed down for generations. It was my mother's and now it's mine, one of her few belongings that I was allowed to keep.

I started with taking off my gloves and moved then to my earrings. As I focused on the task at hand, the door suddenly opened revealing Kyle. My brother.

"Your highness, please calm down--"

"Stay out of it, I will speak with my sister alone. You stay outside!" he tells his butler.

Seeing the commotion, I stood up and walked towards the door.

Kyle is the second child of the king of Meridia and the first and only prince. He is currently 13 years old and I have recently heard on how rebellious he's been behaving. Although we are close, for the past few months, I seem to always be getting on his nerves.

Whenever I invite him to have an afternoon tea with me or visit places with me, he always turns me down or whenever I visit him, he's always so emotional. Is it the puberty that's making him so impatient?

Though right now, I do not know why he looked like he's on the verge of crying. His face was flushed, he looked like he'd been betrayed, he looked upset.

"Kyle, what is going on here?" I walk towards him.

My brother turned to me, a few drops of tears falling from his eyes, his hands were fisted and he bit his lip as he looked at me.

"Why did you do it?!" he asked, his tone high and loud.

I looked behind him where his butler stood for some context. The middle aged man sighed and opened his mouth to speak. "The prince has heard of the news of your marriage, princess."

I see.

I nodded my head. "I see, thank you Micheal, I'll have a word with my brother."

"Understood, princess." he answers and then bowed while closing the door of my room.

Once the doors were closed, I walked to the other side of my room where the leather sofa seats were situated.

"Have a seat first, Kyle." I tell him.

Thankfully, my rebellious brother decided to obey me without further commotion and quietly sat down beside me.

"Why did you do it? You should have said no, you don't even want to get married to him! And he- he-- I don't like that prince!" Kyle said one after another, his tears still running.