chapter eight

The food was spread widely amongst the coffee table in the living as I stared in awe.

Tteokbbokki, sundae, ramen, hotteok, odeng. Everything delicious.

Mingyu and I dug in, enjoying the food so much forgetting to talk. A string of 'hmms' and 'mmms' left our mouths as we ate like starved kids. I supposed we hadn't eaten since last night.

"Hahaha, we must be hungry" Mingyu spoke with a mouthful of ramen. I nodded in a agreement my mouth too full to reply properly. "This is the best hangover food"

"I'm not hungover" I replied

"Yes you are. Do you know how much you drank last night??" he exclaimed.

"It's your fault, it's because of that nightingale thing"

"I gave you one. The rest were your fault" he smiled. "Why did you drink so much anyway?"

"Hmm, I don't know. I guess it tasted good" I smiled back. It was awkward again. Everytime I tried to avoid a question, things became awkward. Ofcourse I was making things awkward.....

--

While I helped Mingyu clean the remains of out feast, my phone rang. Dad. No no no.

I was not in the mood to talk to him, or anyone apart from Mingyu right now. I stared blankly at the phone.

"Answer it." Mingyu nudged me. I shook my head. "Fine then I'll do it." He replied trying to grab my phone.

"Noo" I stepped back and answered the phone while Mingyu looked at me and I...well I avoided eye contact.

"Hello?"

"PARK NARI!" my dad yelled, his yell was for sure heard by Mingyu whose face softened.

"Yes appa?" I sighed.

"TELL ME YOU DID NOT DO WHAT I THINK YOU DID" he yelled.

"I'm sorry" I replied, eyes stuck to the floor beneath me. He sighed heavily over the phone.

"Are you at home?" he sternly asked. My eyes widened as I made eye contact with Mingyu.

"Noo...."

"WHERE ARE YOU! I TOLD INJEONG TO PICK YOU UP!"

"Oh, I'm just at the convenience store, I'll going home right now" I replied, grabbing my bag and finding my shoes.

"We will talk when I get home" he replied and ended the call coldly.

I slipped the phone into my pocket and began to put on my shoes. "Are you leaving already?" Mingyu asked.

"Yeah, I have to. Sorry! Thanks for the food!" I smiled.

"Don't worry about it. Just treat me next time haha" he laughed. Next time? Next time! Instant endorphins were released in my brain.

After waving bye, I left and walked next door to my house. I was greeted with a worried Injeong.

"Nari where were you?" he asked taking off my coat and leading me inside the house.

"Don't worry, I was just getting some lunch, I'm fine"

"But your father-" she began but I cut her off.

"I spoke to him, so don't worry. You won't get into trouble, I won't let you"

"Wow, look at our Nari, so brave. Why are you not like this with your parents?" she smiled proudly.

"It's better not to be" I smiled walking upstairs leaving Injeong to her own work.

I entered my room with looked cleaner than I had left it. Did they know I didn't spend the night at home? God I hope they don't, because that it one ditch I can't get myself out of.

I sat on my bed and rummaged for my phone. Knock. Knock. Knock. Soft knocks could be heard coming from my second window which I rarely opened. I walked over to it and tried to pry it open after a fight with the window for a while, I managed to open it and to my surprise I saw Mingyu. He stood at a window waving a huge smile on his face. I waved back returning the smile....my heart skipped a beat. Damn. What was this boy trying to do.

He pointed to the phone in his hands, asking for my number. I clumsily showed him my number using my fingers and soon enough the phone on my bed was ringing. I turned around to face my bed and held my chest. I knew he was just doing all this as friends but my heart was beating uncontrollably and my whole face felt hot. It was an uncomfortable feeling that my body craved more of.

"Hello" I answered the phone, turning back to face Mingyu and he smirked.

"What are the chances Park Nari."

"What??" I asked

"Both our bedroom windows face each other."

"Huh?" I blurted. "They face each other?" Embarrassment visible on my face.

"Don't worry I won't do anything weird" he laughed.

"WHAT? No. That's. Not. What. I. Meant." I muttered trying to fix my thinking out loud.

"Anyway I should go, I'll see you at school" he waved bye and shut his window.

I stood still in shock. Threw my phone on my bed. In shock. My hands wrapped around my shoulders.

"Nari stop." I told myself. "It was fine when he didn't know who you were, but now he does you can't fall for this"

My heart ached. I was always told to not bother liking boys and dating from a young age because it would only bring my parents shame and it's not like I they would approve of anyone who wasn't picked by them. It's not like I was going to date Mingyu, or that he liked me. It's just that this is going to consume me. I can already feel it.

"Nari remember your promise. Remember your promise." I whispered to myself. Because of the world I lived in. And all the rules I had been fed I told myself that it was just easier to follow my parent's rules. "Don't fall for him like this"