10

Makaio took a seat on the stump of a tree. He hastily yanked his warrior mask off his face and rubbed at his left eye. The discoloured eye often gave him problems and it always meant something untoward was going on. Along with the throbbing of his eye socket, his head spun as his vision blurred. He was over this damned feeling of weakness that always seemed to plague his body.

"Are you okay Mak?" Kaori questioned his son as he bent down to rub his back. Makaio mumbled a yes in reply but it was clear for Kaori to see that his son was having one of his moods.

Since Makaio had been a child, he had moments where his vision in his left eye would get blurry and he would experience headaches that were so debilitating that he would often faint. Kaori knew that it had something to do with his sons discoloured eyes, but since the passing of his wife and the disappearance of his daughter Maliha, Mak had become more reserved. Kaori did not know anything his son did not wish him to know. Kaori had hoped that the reappearance of his once lost daughter, Maliha, would help Makaio but it had only made the situation worse. Since Maliha had given her brother the Daharrasol, Makaio had been riddled with strains of weakness that seemed to force him further and further into solitude.

Makaio sighed deeply as he rubbed at his temple. "My head is paining me; I think I may be dehydrated from drinking too much of the celebratory spirits. Take the men and head home. I will follow you."

Kaori smiled in remembrance. "You did not drink half as much as me, but I guess your youth has you at a disadvantage when compared to a man of my age."

Makaio snorted at his father, "I hardly doubt you could out drink me, but I'll give it to you old man. You have won. Head on without me."

Kaori's face became grim at his son's decision. "I'll leave half the men with you and I won't take any arguments. Just because you wear the Daharrasol does not mean you are the Razi yet," Kaori joked light heartedly but from his son's reaction, he could tell that it was the wrong thing to say.

"I would rather not wear this Goddess forsaken thing; all it has ever brought this world is pain and suffering."

"You may not believe in its power, but your mother did so show her some respect. That necklace brought your sister back to us," Kaori countered

"It took her from us first! Had my mother never had that damned necklace they would both still be here," Makaio shouted.

The death of his mother and the loss of his baby sister Maliha always affected him this way. He could not control the anger that always took over when he thought about that fateful day.

"Is everything okay?" Asked Simi, one of the warrior's accompanying them to and from the Der Surjaz land to celebrate the marriage of Maliha and Ujarak.

"Yes, Simi everything is fine. Just our typical debate," smiled Kaori, his dark brown cheeks crinkling with kindness.

"Will we be heading back soon? The rest grows restless." Simi spoke to both Mak and Kaori, even though Kaori was slowly handing his power over to his son, it was clear to the Nah Barros that Mak was reluctant to lead.

He was a great warrior and tribe member and naturally commanded people's respect and attention but Makaio was reluctant to take the lead. He resented it.

"Makaio has decided that half of us will head home whilst half will stay a short while to scout for any Svolik."

"Yes of course, I'll let the Bajo warriors know the plan." Simi nodded his head to both men and then headed back to the rest of the men and women who waited for the section.