2

The atmosphere was full of disbelief. Shock radiated through everyone as Nkechi grabbed her wooden sword and made her way further onto the podium. A small smile graced her lips when her brother, Femi, gave his nod of approval. Nkechi could cope with her father's disapproval but not Femi's.

"Fight clean and don't draw this out," her brother called out to Nkechi.

Nkechi turned her head to respond to Femi, but narrowly missed Kofi's swinging blade. Nkechi growled at the honourless man. As expected, Kofi was already fighting dirty. The man had no integrity and his fighting was a reflection of that, but Nkechi was not worried. She contemplated whether she should toy with Kofi, but her brother's previous words swayed her decision. Strengthening her resolve, Nkechi, decided she would beat Kofi at his own game. She did not need to cheat, because losing to her would be a knock to Kofi's already inflated ego.

Nkechi ducked a few of his attack's, getting a feel for his movements before going in for her attack. She feigned left and then followed through with a quick jab with her right arm, whacking him with the flat of her sword. Kofi tried to swipe back, but his attack left his body open, just as Nkechi anticipated. Nkechi jabbed his chest again and then swiped at his feet, sending the man tumbling to the floor. Kofi was a good warrior when he felt he was fighting someone worthy of his talent, Nkechi was someone he viewed as his inferior.

The platform rattled as Kofi's body thudded to the ground. A look of disbelief hidden beneath his angered and enraged glare.

Nkechi threw her sword to the floor and then swiped at her forehead. "Not a drop of sweat," she gloated, turning her back on him.

The hairs on Nkechi's neck rose. She spun around just as Kofi sprang at her. His body pounced on top of her and they both thumped to the floor. Kofi grappled for Nkechi's dainty neck and began to squeeze. Her initial instinct was to writhe under his grip, but she dismissed her body's natural reaction. Nkechi lifted one of her hands and used all of her strength to bend one of his fingers back. There was a distinct snap, followed by Kofi's bellow of rage. His grip slipped, providing Nkechi with an opportunity to punch him in his gut. The blow sent Kofi tumbling off of her. She staggered to her feet at the same time as Kofi. His left hand hung limply by his side and a few of his fingers were bent unnaturally.

"I can keep going or would you rather take your loss like a man?" Nkechi taunted. By now the podium was surrounded by hundreds of warriors who had flocked to the scene.

Nkechi's taunting voice sent Kofi charging at her, but his moves were sloppy with anger. Nkechi sidestepped Kofi and slashed her hand out, cutting him in his throat. Kofi dropped to the floor clutching his neck. His tears trailed down his cheeks as he gasped for breath.

"What did you say, Kofi? You said who was the man? I can't quite hear you." Nkechi gloated, cupping her ear as she leaned over the wheezing man. She jumped back when Kofi grabbed at her hair.

"Where did all of your manliness go?" Nkechi sneered.

"Nkechi, that is enough," her father snapped.

Her father stepped onto the podium, glaring at his wilful daughter. Matin extended a hand to Kofi and helped him to his feet. He motioned for a healer to take Kofi. Once Kofi was quietly removed from the platform, Matin turned his anger to Nkechi.

"I fail to understand why this challenge was necessary," Matin growled.

"It was merely for demonstrative purposes, father" Nkechi replied dryly.

Her father became flustered by her dismissive response. His cheeks turned red as he struggled to respond. Once Matin finally gained his composure, he angrily motioned for Nkechi to follow him. Nkechi sauntered behind him with her head held high and a regal posture. As much as she wanted to deny her fathers unspoken request, Nkechi knew better.