16

The sky had cast a purple hue by the time Nkechi had finally finished touring her new home. So much of the island remained uninhabited. In her journey, she had found miles and miles of untouched and unspoiled land, where nature had been left free to flourish in their absence. Their jungle reminded her of her home and the bitter-sweet way in which she had left. Her thoughts of the past had brought her back to reality. The realisation that she had been gone for the whole day was something she knew would not be met happily.

The silent stares she received from people as she made her way back to Makaio's home was a clear indication that she had been missed. The inside of his home was lit with candles, the moons light shone through the opening in the ceiling, giving Nkechi a clear look at what waited for her.

Makaio abruptly halted his pacing and spun round at the sound of her approaching footsteps. "Where have you been?"

Nkechi could hear the subtle worry in his voice, but it was drowned out by the roll of his anger.

"I was exploring the land as no one decided to do provide me with a guide."

Her words lit a fire within him that transformed his face.

It was only when Kaori placed his hand on Makaio's shoulder that she acknowledged they were not alone. She had been too focussed on Makaio to really take in her surroundings. That acknowledgment unsettled Nkechi.

"Perhaps we should leave you both to it. Come Kaori. I'm sure they do not need us to supervise."

Filsan sent Nkechi a teasing smile before whispering something in Makaio's ear.

Kaori placed a kiss on Nkechi's forehead on his way out of the home.

"I never got to say this before, but Welcome to our family, Nkechi. I am glad to have you as a daughter and hope we can get to know each other."

His words disarmed her. All responses got stuck in her throat and her stubborn resolve dissipated. Was this what it was like to have an actual father? Nkechi couldn't remember the last time her father had kissed her or even spared her a nice word. Yet here she was, a stranger in this land, and Kaori was bestowing her with nothing but kindness. Even when she stared his son down with anger.

"Be easy on him, he was worried."
Whispered Filsan as she exited after her brother.

Her soft fingers stroked Nkechi gently as she winked at her.

Kaori and Filsan's kindness had Nkechi humbled. The Goddess was showing her how stark her reality had truly been. Being deprived of love and simple affection had left Nkechi a harder woman than she had ever intended to become.

The world had no use for a soft Funai.

With those words in her head, she pushed the kindness to the back of her mind and refocused her gaze onto a clearly raging Makaio.

There was a thick silence as everyone left, the tension was palpable, but Nkechi refused to speak first.

"You were not here. Where did you go?"

"I told you already, I was exploring the land."

Her simple answer did nothing but aggravate Makaio further. He had not felt this level of anger in such a long time. He had no idea why he felt such emotions but at the back of his mind he knew that his fear for Nkechi fuelled his emotions higher.

"Why did you not wait for me? You can't just go and come as you please. That is not how this works."

Nkechi's unbothered attitude frustrated him. She could clearly see it in the way his brows had knit together.